Miyu-chan wa Zutto Tomodachi - Ch. 2 - It's Been a While

Dex-chan lover
But why we gotta "redeem(?)" the bully now?
I'm tired of stories having villains that you are forced to feel sorry for, after making them look like complete and utter assholes.

Dex-chan lover
I don't understand why most people here just want a villain with no motivation for why he's like that or anything? I genuinely don't understand why some people say a villain or antagonist in a story having motivations for their actions is bad now, like would you seriously have liked it more if he was just "fuck you, I just randomly started bullying you even though we were friends earlier just fine, but now I'm the villain of this story so I have to just be a generic asshole" and that's it?

And I'm not saying this will be good either, since we're only at chapter 2 so we can't know, and it's not like the bully actually having rough family/living or whatever conditions and that being the reason he's like that is something that's never been done before (not even close), but I don't get why y'all would prefer him just being an asshole for no reason? Do you just want an excuse to hate on a fictional character or what? Like I genuinely don't get it

And no, a motivation doesn't necessarily excuse his actions??? Who thinks like that? The motivation is there to put things into context and help understand the reason why that character did that thing, not say "oh he has it rough as well, so it's fine for him to make everyone else's life worse", like what??

Last edited:
MD@Home
The ship sailed for that when it was established he was a human being.

I'm kind of blindsided by how vitriolic the reaction is to the suggestion that the bully character isn't just a malevolent force on legs, especially when his bullying has yet to be presented as central to the story.
Why would you be shocked? The manga opens with him extorting the main character, then it's revealed he's far from the first victim, and the pivotal moment of that chapter is him demanding MC takes naked photo of his female childhood friend he has just been reunited with, to sell it.

I would say, the reaction to the attempt to explain his situation was pretty damn tame.

Dex-chan lover
Comedy Tag
Read the manga
a thriller drama

cover3.jpg

Dex-chan lover
Why would you be shocked?
Because other commentators are acting as if his merely being fleshed out as a character is some writing failure, as if they're afraid that they might feel some sympathy for a character they wrote off as "evil" even though literally nobody is forcing them to feel that way. It's completely possible to understand his circumstances, and perhaps even pity him, without thinking that those circumstances excuse his actions, or that the author thinks that those circumstances excuse his actions, or that author wants you to think that those circumstances excuse his actions. At best, it's an overreaction.

As an aside (since other people have mentioned it), I find the concept of the "redemption arc"-- as well as the paradigm inherent to it-- wooden and limiting. It asserts that a writer needs to at least implicitly categorize characters as "good" and "bad", and then thereafter create a mechanism for a desired character to be transitioned from a state of "bad" to one of "good" (part of said mechanism being obviously inbuilt into the character designated for conversion).

Last edited:
Supporter
Next Chapter: "The Bully's Secret"

No way... You're telling me the bullying asshole has a shitty home life? That is some straight up unprecedented shit. 🫢

Well... As for who this Not-Dead, Not-Miyu is... Hrh. Probably not an alien. Probably not a shape shifter. Probably something horrifying nonetheless...
She could be an alien. And he could be the class rep.

Dex-chan lover
If Miyu is living with her parents, then imposter is not believable. I would go with:
  1. she's Miyu's mother, living her life as Miyu.
  2. she's Miyu being passed off as her twin. Miyu became psychotic and her parents wanted to sweep that under the rug so they moved away and said she died.
  3. something else?
If there was a real twin, you'd think MC would have known about it from early childhood.

Maybe theyre twins but no one can tell them apart even if they had different names. I wonder if he was both of their friends but he didnt know?
Can't be, as (the old) her always eat taiyaki from the head, or the new her realize and imitates this before and will do this now too, or the new don't realize this and not imitate this before (what's a contradiction, 'cause we've assumed her always eat taiyaki from the head).

Dex-chan lover
Please don't waste a chapter on a backstory for that bully.
We do not care

BG9

Aggregator gang
Having a miserable life doesn't and will never give you any right to make others miserable by being a dick, no matter how you slice it. It's funny how he treated the MC unjustly, then got mad when someone retaliated in the same unjust way for the MC.

Anyway, I wonder what is the motivation for the fake Miyu to impersonate dead Miyu. No one simply just impersonate a dead person in real, physical world and to her friend at that, even if said person do have some screws loose.

Users who are viewing this thread