My son walks into me reading Komi Cant communicate, he wants to read one, but I dont know one without innapropriate content (for a 10 year old) Thanks

Dex-chan lover
Are you asking for story recommendation that have the same element as Komi Can't Communicate?

If anything, I don't think Komi Can't Communicate have any NSFW content, no?

Dex-chan lover
Komi-san is just comedy first, and romance second,
I think reading that one does not require much parental control

when I was 10, I was already reading things like Devil and Devil, Flame of Recca, etc
and those.... ... those kinds need parental control

Dex-chan lover
Kinda depends how much you're willing to let your kid see. For the most part it is child-friendly, but there are certain scenes and ideas some parents might object to. (Most of them with Yamai)

For instance, focusing on Komi's stockings and then lack of them after they get a hole, delivering chocolate sculpted as herself and encouraging Komi to lick it all over, jokes about breast size (especially with one character later on whose whole schtick is liking breasts), the guys judging and grading various girls and their potential as girlfriends...

It's always presented as comedic in tone, but I know my parents wouldn't have been okay with it. Really depends on your opinion of what is fine. If you're instead looking for similar series that are a bit more tame, I'd say My Clueless First Friend, Teasing Master Takagi, and Hitori Bocchi's ____ Life all hit similar notes.

Contributor
Yotsuba&! is a good start. Also, 10 years old is enough to start reading Dragon ball, one piece, Naruto...

I don't recommed letting him read Rom-Com manga because these stories have a very japanese patriarchal way of showing the world.

Another idea is just to start reading the manga together, so you can talk about it, and you can see if it's okay for him to continue reading it.

Dex-chan lover
Dungeon Meshi, Fire Force, Gon, the Touhou Sangetsusei Quadrology, are some of mine.
Komi is honestly not something I'd recommend, due to it being very very mid and having some pretty one-note characters

Dex-chan lover
When I was a grade schooler I either watched the entire Dragon Ball series (including GT) without censoring the blood, Crayon Shin Chan, Ranma 1/2 and other late 80s and 90s series and that was entirely fine. In Japan grade schoolers read Detective Conan for instance (it's really easy to read), same with Doctor Slump and Doraemon. So unless you throw hentai on him, I don't see a problem, you can always check publisher's ratings to choose among them. There are plenty of series he can read, I would recommend slice of life, such as Non Non Biyori, but it's more about letting him choose what he wants to read.
PS: my only concern would be a parent that still reads series like Komi-san.

Users who are viewing this thread