The Ideal Sponger Life - Vol. 14 Ch. 60 - Capua Royal Family

Dex-chan lover
That was pretty much my first thought too. Can't tempt him with women very easily if one of "his" women is already with him and is his partner for all the royal events.
What I'm the most excited for about Freya as a concubine is visiting her home country. Not that I'm in a hurry, since this is a fairly slow paced manga, but it still doesn't feel like it pads too much or just treads water.

Dex-chan lover
I think the red dress is a symbol that Freya is connected to Aura's kingdom. It's like wearing the tartan or colors of a noble house showing your alliance to them. The color red could be the official color of Aura's kingdom, so no other royalties wear it. Freya wearing it affirms her connection to the family. She isn't just representing her old home but her new one.

She can also brag that her dress was a gift from Aura herself so that everybody knows that she's part of their gang now.

I wanna the blondie in the gang too though 😂

Dex-chan lover
No I think that was her dad. Chapter 1, Page 23 confirms that all her blood related immediate family members were killed during the last war, and she summoned the MC because he's the only other member of her bloodline left.

In a world where the position and authority of the Royal family is jeopardized just because the current female ruler married a male, she wouldn't marry someone from the same country if she could and risk them overthrowing her.
yeah but i'm pretty sure they also mentioned the last king was her husband before the mc and that she took over after his death.

Power Uploader
I briefly though "oh no, now we need to wait for the release of the next volume". but apparently up to vol 18 is already released, so the translation speed should not slow down.
We haven't been slowing down (much), but we can't speed up, either. The schedule is still 1 chapter/month, because that's all Agsilver could work on.

Dex-chan lover
oohh... so she is finally approved as harem members. Congrats Freya! She has come long way

Dex-chan lover
That small moment of care from Aura was actually pretty great. Same with Freya's moment of elation from being gifted the dress.

Double-page supporter
Where I live most people wear darker clothes unless it's summer, when they wear brighter clothes. Not so much about skin colour. Colours are more about culture and situation.
The only thing about skin colour I prefer is to not wear colours close to your skin colour anywhere adjacent to your skin, with the exceptions of underwear you don't want to shine through and extra fabric for modesty.
While colours have a cultural significance (try wearing white at a funeral in Europe), you do in fact match clothing colour with skin after you have matched the clothing to itself. However, cultural colours have evolved alongside human looks and usually match that looks. You find darker tones in northern and lighter tones in southern Europe for example.
And sure, it's not that big of a deal when a paled skinned person wears a white suite, compared to wearing brown shoes to a navy suit (that stunt can get you kicked out of/not even let in some establishment). However, choosing the correct base colour is almost as important as choosing the correct colour for your tie. Dark undertones (grey, brown, navy, etc.) for light features, light undertones (white, khaki, pistachio, etc.) for dark features and bold colours (jade, cobalt, etc.) for neutral features. Rule of thumb: It should contrast with your complexion and never, ever wear yellow...
There are some very good guides out on the internet that go into more detail, and even the Pantone Color Insitute has chimed in; you know, the guys that sell pieces of paper with a few colour specks on it for hundreds if not thousands of USD, and who are the de facto colour standard when it comes to colour alongside RAL.

This topic is a huge deal, and modern everyday wear is a total mess when it comes to colour consistency. That's why you see so many badly dressed people nowadays, it's just: "I like this", not "Does that look good on me". People say, you can't look bad in a suit, I beg to differ, you can absolutely look like bad and like an idiot in a suit and the amount of people I have seen who fall in this category is uncountable...
Now, the story plays in a completely different time (and world) where wearing stuff displays your social status and wearing the wrong (yes, the wrong) kind of clothing is at least a faux pas, at worst an insult to the other party.

So assuming Freya has a very light skin tone, a red dress can either hurt her (mangenta) or fit her like a glove (burgundy). If we assume that the dress will be the same colour as the dress Aura has been wearing all the time, i.e. somewhere between Venetian Red or Carmine (depending on the lighting but more of Carmine one my screen), which is already a darker shade of red, I'd not be worried colour wise. Just don't give her golden jewellery, silver or rose would be good choices.
This goes even more, since we're talking about national colours and you'd give people some leeway with the looks since you're making a political statement.
/edit: I find Freya's current dress (ref: Chapter 41 page 05 colour spread) not exactly the best choice. It's just the same colour as her hair with little to no accents. A little bit more colour would bring out the exotic (for Capua) hair and eye colour. That's the reason why her captain uniform fits her better (colour wise). Zenjiro on the other hand has this great contrasat between his dark hair, fairly light complexion and red tunic over a rose shirt (not assuming the shit is white because it's a different colour from the men on the left)

tl;dr: If you don't have a cultural or political reason to wear a specific colour, wear the colour that best fit to your complexion.

P.S. Another "problem" with modern clothing is that it's almost only western citizen clothing remaining. It almost hurts to see the same old dark-grey, black or navy suit with a tie (and not even that nowadays) every day in and out. If there's one crime the modern citizenry did, was to kill fashion.​

Last edited:
Dex-chan lover
You find darker tones in northern and lighter tones in southern Europe for example.​
That kind of breaks your point, though. The difference in skin tone between northern and southern Europe is less than the individual difference. You have to go quite far south, outside Europe and past Sahara, to find people with a significantly different skin colour. Or most of southern Asia.

Rule of thumb: It should contrast with your complexion and never, ever wear yellow...
That one I did cover.

That's why you see so many badly dressed people nowadays, it's just: "I like this", not "Does that look good on me".
The thing about that, taste is far from universal. While there are guides you can follow, they don't apply to all tastes. I'm not that sensitive to various colours, as long as what I mentioned above, the skin colour contrast is enough, it usually works for me, but when it comes to shapes there are a lot of things I find straight up ugly that a lot of people think are good looking or sexy.

If we assume that the dress will be the same colour as the dress Aura has been wearing all the time, i.e. somewhere between Venetian Red or Carmine (depending on the lighting but more of Carmine one my screen), which is already a darker shade of red, I'd not be worried colour wise. Just don't give her golden jewellery, silver or rose would be good choices.
The red isn't consistent, looking at the covers, though on my screen it doesn't look that deep or dark.

I find the gold jewellery to not look that great on Aura, since it blends too much with her skin colour (could say the same about her hair and dress). It might be different "in real life" since it'd have a metallic shine, which isn't visible in a manga. For Freya I think it'd work if it was a darker gold, rather than a brassier yellow, but it also depends on whether you want to accentuate her paleness or make her look warmer.

tl;dr: If you don't have a cultural or political reason to wear a specific colour, wear the colour that best fit to your complexion.
The main problem with that is that limits you far too much in what you can wear. I'd go with the same idea, but from the other direction: avoid the worst and pick from what suits the occasion.

P.S. Another "problem" with modern clothing is that it's almost only western citizen clothing remaining.
You don't even have to go outside Western clothing. European Medieval clothing was quite colourful, despite what a lot of media portrays it as.

All in all, "contrasts" is the word to work with. Works for many applications, not just fashion, but also storytelling and anything else you want to show off.

Last edited:
Double-page supporter
I find the gold jewellery to not look that great on Aura, since it blends too much with her skin colour (could say the same about her hair and dress). It might be different "in real life" since it'd have a metallic shine, which isn't visible in a manga. For Freya I think it'd work if it was a darker gold, rather than a brassier yellow, but it also depends on whether you want to accentuate her paleness or make her look warmer.
Going by the setting and location of Capua, in real life she would most likely have an olive complexion. This usually mean that rose is a good colour (rose fits with almost anything) or a lighter shade of gold. Although to be sure you'd also have to look at the skin undertone, not just the complexion itself.
For Freya gold is really not the best choice, no matter the shade, gold is too similar to yellow (in vexillology they are even considered the same). Silver, with colourful gems is better.

You don't even have to go outside Western clothing. European Medieval clothing was quite colourful, despite what a lot of media portrays it as.
Citizen clothing, with emphasis on the citizen, i.e. the modern suit that came after the Great Male Renunciation, which, apart from the neck-tie is usually quite dull. According to Anglo-German psychologist John Flügel, men "abandoned their claim to be considered beautiful" and "henceforth aimed at being only useful". This phenomenon lasted roughly until the late 1960s (Protests of 1968, counterculture, that sort of thing)

The red isn't consistent, looking at the covers, though on my screen it doesn't look that deep or dark.
Don't look at the highlights and instead look at the more shaded areas. Take the cover for Volume 8; the best place to get the "actual" colour for her dress would be the centre of here breasts, directly below the border between light and dark. Don't take the opera gloves and or the cloth belt, those are darker shades of red (could be burgundy or maroon). Naturally you can't get the exact colour, since any 2D image is missing (or only approximating) reflections for the weave and highlights or subsurface scattering.

The difference in skin tone between northern and southern Europe is less than the individual difference.
I wouldn't consider an Olive complexion (e.g. Greeks) the same as a fair complexion (e.g. Swedes), but the point wasn't about complexion, it was about clothing and yes the difference is there, although it's not as massive as say for example, Germany and the Kongo.

The thing about that, taste is far from universal.
Although people think they are individualists, most human behaviour can be described by probability distributions, and quite narrow distributions at that. This is how societies form, liking and disliking the same things. That's the reason why we know which colours go together and which do not; despite cultural differences (e.g. which colour to wear at a wedding), there's a background noise that is present across humanity. The aforementioned rule of thumb is such a background noise.

The main problem with that is that limits you far too much in what you can wear.
Apart from massive occasions like a coronation, its far less limiting than one might think. Take Aura for example: She's not going to strode around with all the crown jewels, in fact it would be very weird if she wore them at all. That's why there's two crowns for the British monarch, bot to be used at different occasions. You can really see how much you can do with clothing in an restrictive environment if you look at the late Elizabeth II. Highly varied clothing with specs of state regalia mixed in. Even at highly formal events like Opening of Parliament she wasn't restricted at all.
The men in the royal family had it far less good, usually uniform or bust. But that's a general theme, (modern) men's formal wear is quite boring.
The cover for the next volume (which is already up on the manga page) shows Freya in said red dress. It's the same colour as Aura's, complemented with silver jewellery.

Dex-chan lover
Going by the setting and location of Capua, in real life she would most likely have an olive complexion.
Just going to mention, I just don't like "olive" as a skin colour. It makes me think of orcs or military olive drab.

Don't look at the highlights and instead look at the more shaded areas.
This is entirely dependent on the artist. Some have a main colour and mostly just shades, some a main colour and mostly just highlights, and most do both.

I was referring to something like the stomach part of the volume 2 cover. There's a clear highlight to the left, and a clear shadow above. Most of these images use mainly just highlights and shadows, but less of a "natural" colour.

I wouldn't consider an Olive complexion (e.g. Greeks) the same as a fair complexion (e.g. Swedes), but the point wasn't about complexion, it was about clothing and yes the difference is there, although it's not as massive as say for example, Germany and the Kongo.
I'm a Swede. Had a Spanish friend with a very similar complexion. An Italian who was paler than me. A Kurd with barely darker skin. A Japanese with mostly the same. A Nicaraguan between me and that Kurd. Two Poles, one darker and one lighter. The only one with a significantly different complexion was an Ethiopian. Naturally also a bunch of Swedish friends with a range of complexions. Point it, it varies.

The point you made talked about "skin" and "human looks". So if you weren't talking about skin colour, what were you talking about?

Although people think they are individualists, most human behaviour can be described by probability distributions, and quite narrow distributions at that.
They're not that narrow. Just take music for instance. There's a huge range of genres, and an equally huge range of likes and dislikes. I don't think your statement holds up.

This is how societies form, liking and disliking the same things.
A lot of those likes and dislikes are taught by society, so it's not a one-way street.

You can really see how much you can do with clothing in an restrictive environment if you look at the late Elizabeth II.
I don't think you're talking about the same thing I did.

Aggregator gang
I think the red dress is a symbol that Freya is connected to Aura's kingdom. It's like wearing the tartan or colors of a noble house showing your alliance to them. The color red could be the official color of Aura's kingdom, so no other royalties wear it. Freya wearing it affirms her connection to the family. She isn't just representing her old home but her new one.
Freya actually stated that red is the Capua color.

Aggregator gang
Wasn’t the last king Carlos? Thats why Ignes refer to the baby as Carlo-zen because she refer to the previous king as “prince Carlos” and feels uncomfortable calling someone else prince carlos. She was his maid before being king so thats why he still thinks of him as prince Carlos.
Ignes was also Carlos's lover, so Aura thinks of her as her aunt/ sister

Double-page supporter
Make it even a little more complicated and this series "Done" for me,
So damn annoying

Dex-chan lover
He's never gonna get another girl us he.... There's been so many better than the main one. So frustrating.

Dex-chan lover
Aura in previous episodes: Keep your cards close to your chest, and don't make too many waves.. Cards closer!! Less waves!!

Aura in this episode: Let's send in the representative of the historical nemesis of the Twin Countries. Let's dress her in Royal Colours as well, just to make sure they Get the Message.
She can be really brutal sometimes...

@HDMI1 There's nothing Canon in the story as depicted that she's that flexible.... :p
Nothing we've seen that says she isn't, though, now is there? Let the man dream.

Users who are viewing this thread