Taihou to Stamp - Vol. 3 Ch. 16 - We Must Get There First

Group Leader
And now author earned my respect.
Scene with Radwańska has hidden joke inside, connected with history:
Stanisław Żółkiewski was Hetman - military leader of Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth (something like Marshall, or High General), who using smaller army (6k vs 35k), literally obliterated Russian forces and took over Moscow (and is the only guy in history who managed to do that). So Radwańska gave Russians cross named after guy, who is famous of occupying Russian capital.
It's either ironic, or maybe history line is totally different here. I've gotten really curious.

Dex-chan lover
Every new chapter fills me with glee with the irreverent but knowledgable spin on history, hardware and behaviour of the soldier in war.
Zolkiewski! Aerosan! Girl´s talk! It's a race! A caper!

Group Leader
@Irian It's totally relevant. Kirill being a descendant of a famous military lineage (though made up one) detastes Imperials for past Russian-Polish relations, and, I persume, Zolkiewski's exploits were part of it, wich only adds to the indifference Kirill shows by throind the medal into a drawer.

Group Leader
@Ostermann Nice analysis - i didn't connect it to Kirill's action, but now it makes sense. So we can assume that Moscow occupation really happened.
Now, i'm really wondering at which point manga timeline detaches from real one, to give us actual situation.
I think that Battle of Vienna never happened (because it was the sign of end of Ottoman Empire aka Republic), so i think that history should fork somewhere between 1610 and 1683, but it's only theory.
I hope that author will shed some light to it... It was some time, since I was so impatient about finding out manga world history!
(btw: great job with translating!)

Group Leader
@Irian It's really hard to tell when the divergence happened and the exact year now. I'd like to add that the Kingdom that was mentioned in the first volume (the country that proclaimed neutrality in the conflict) is France.

Group Leader
@Sternberg
Darn,miseed one of those. It literally translates "roar of the engine", but I usually put "rumble". Will fix the page.
@lupus_in_fabula
Perhaps, I should add a translator's note page to the chapter.

Group Leader
Untranslated sfx fixed and translator's note page is added with some extra info.

Dex-chan lover
@Ostermann
In translator note it is written that The Battle of Klushino is written happened in 1910 instead 1610.

By the way, I know Republican is Turk and Grand Duchy is Russian, but what exactly the Imperials are?

Group Leader
@Shita-kiri Suzume Well, because it's not really a bean soup. It's a dessert made out of sweet beans and rice cake. Additionally, these things are labeled in Cyrillic as Каичу Сирко (Kaichu Shirko).
But, probably, the main reason and the most honest answer is that English translation is to some extent derived from my Russian translation. Cyrillic labels are more obvious there. so I kept the name and made a commentary page. When doing the English translation I just stuck with how it was without a second thought.
On a sidenote, I find it really strange, that Hayami Rasenjin, being such a Slav culture aficionado, made a traditional Japanese dessert Martina's favourite treat.

Contributor
@Ostermann Well, it's not as strictly historical as Rasenjin's other comics, even if it takes inspiration from the conflict era. As a whole it's peppered with Japanese words translitterated to Cyrillic, like city names and others.

Group Leader
@Shita-kiri Suzume
I find these transliterated Japanese words even more puzzling. Sometimes they're very relevant to understanding the situation. Like in Chapter 14 it doesn't make sense that Kirill and Martina has an entire tram car for themselves unless you know that Гундзин Сэйноу means 'Military Personnel Only'. But as far as I can gather, Rasenjin is an odd fellow.

Users who are viewing this thread