The Apothecary Diaries - Vol. 8 Ch. 38 - Balsam and Wood Sorrel (Part 2)

@MurakamiChiaki and @mothaiba

Thanks to you two for proposing to clear things up! I didn't need to go back to the older chapters and I was still not sure I would still understand anyway, so this helped a lot!
_ I strongly agree with the fact the granny is some decent human. She can't help much and is harsh on her words and rules, but she's never been unfair and actually doesn't search troubles and faults with her girls. It was evident for me she cared deeply for them, whether it is interested or not isn't relevant for me.
_ Now that you reminded me, I probably understood it at that time, but lost myself within theories and conjectures (or delusions) after. I was kinda disappointed we moved on without digging more of that incident, but I'm sure author will come back on it later, within another scheme probably. I can already feel my head hurting with all the mind-blowing revealations we'll have then... But that's why I love this serie!

Aggregator gang
What disease did Mao Mao's mom caught? was it the opium? Or was it some type of std that affected her physically and mentally after?

@Neko-min It's a nice reply and I appreciate your willingness to read my lengthy reply. I also really like this manga in particular and while I have read the LN somewhat, reading through the comment section through chapters riles me up for one reason or another. But hey let's hope the manga continues to be good for years to come.

@Mivas
I think until here I'm right but what I don't understand is why no one told Rakan that she was alive when he came back to look for her. Was there a reason?
Courtesans also have their pride. It has been hinted multiple times in this series that it is the case. From Granny to 3 princesses to Fon Shen. Fon Shen getting pregnant was a deliberate attempt to lower her price to be together with Rakan. And with him failing to deliver his part, the entire establishment almost went bankrupted. And with the pinky cut sent, this mean a cut in relationship. End of everything. So Rakan kinda gain the hate from everyone in that place and got refused to even enter as a result.
Also did Mao Mao knew she was her mother?
She most likely is. She designed this plan to bring Rakan here. And with the fingernails polish from the prev chapters, she obviously knew some stories between her parents.
And also why did Mei Mei started crying at the end?
Both. She could have had feelings and wish the happy ending for her sister and her love. And she almost was redeemed by her love/admired one, so would not be far fetched to think that she did have her hopes up. But she couldnt bare being a replacement for the sister she hold dear, the guilt of leaving them alone, and her wish for them of having a closure.

Dex-chan lover
page 5 : "how dare he touch my daughter 's shoulder ?"

then wait until he learns that jinshi already gave her a big hug and many other physical contacts , lol : page 14 of chapter 18 : https://mangadex.org/chapter/505094/14

Dex-chan lover
this chapter is so moving , so touching .

btw , i just found this manga 's animated trailer : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8V-drml4FPg

this is the most viewed video of this channel .

Bro does this means if the grandma had let him in when he first came back after 3 years she coulda still be healed, but now that she developed neurosyphillis it's gonna be nearly impossible?

A bit off-topic but I just remembered that there is real mental disorder that makes it hard to recognise visual elements, like faces for instance. Person has no problem remembering things but it's very hard to recognise. I think I read about a man who couldn't percieve a diference between his wife and a hat
Edit: it's called "Visual agnosia"

Spent the earlier chapters wishing Rakan wasn't an abusive asshole for the safety of MaoMao, now I wished that was that case where she could easily just poison him and call it a day, rather than having these feels I never consent to.
Apothecary Gods please cut this guy some slack, break the realism and consistency of the story if thats the price, please grant them happiness for the remainder of their lives.

This is such a late reply to the chapter cuz I only just binged and caught up with the series. But seriously....many people here needs to re-read the series before shouting out inaccurate things

To the people saying that "she wasn't a virgin to begin with cuz it's a brothel"
- Ch 25 when Rakan first brings the story up, he said she "sell art, not her body"
b5bbea7682.png
- Ch 28.2 when Mao talks about how to reduce the price - talked about ones with potential can climb so high that essentially them being "untouchable" is the lure [aka they focus on arts, not the night activities]. But once they're "deflowered" they lose in value [referring to Mao's mother]
x14.jpg

x15.jpg

x16.jpg
- Ch 29.1 - talking about how she got syphilis [aka still had to work, and obviously on night duties since]
d6d3ce3b9a.png

To those who said Rakan is a bad guy or scum
- Ch 37 [literally the previous chapter]
17-ea9d0b31fc556bc7cabc0bd58213227af27b3828ccb2cea4c7e09869a642bb7b.jpg

18-dd4c6b2089ffb776c6bdcf0eb6463a068cb9aa0841e20b2a5220b88c97ada476.jpg
- His father who was his superior sent him away, he thought it'll only be half a year but it went on for 3 years. SO HOW THE FUCK IS IT HIS FAULT?!

To people who thought Rakan was in on the plan, he wasn't but both he and Mao's mum probably knew of such option
- Ch 37 - It's implied that he, who never won at Go against her, decided to go with Go to grant her a wish (which eventually led to the pregnancy, aka he didn't PLAN IT WITH HER)
12-27907023ce754a4880debbebbe09ae60a22c72e7d438f91e3dead7b498cf622f.jpg

13-f90acadb4e554aec9bdd1114b639d6a08d0afc10ce520321542608db3c782aed.jpg

To those who think Granny is like a bitch or evil or some shit.........omg????? From her perspective, Rakan literally not only deflowered, but ALSO made her most profiting girl pregnant. On top of that, he didn't come to claim her and which led to her spiralling into depression and into the state that she's in now. OF COURSE SHE WOULD BE PISSED?!?!?!?

Also there's literally an arc (yes one of the early arcs) about some rich playboy talking to girls about buying them out and THEN HE DOESN'T.
- Ch 12
x17.jpg

x18.jpg

For something that probably commonly happens, YOU THINK GRANNY WOULDN'T BE PISSED AT SOMEONE WHO DESTROYED HER #1 AS WELL FLAKED AND NOT BUY HER?!? OF COURSE SHE WOULD BAN HIM FROM THE PLACE THAT'S A GIVEN?!?!?!?

Okay rant over

TLDR: Some people really need to re-read the series again

Users who are viewing this thread