The Rising of the Shield Hero - Vol. 25 Ch. 101 - Yggdrasil Elixir

Dex-chan lover
help get them back to their country??? get them out of slavery? Not use them as a child work force that you disguises as uwu wholesome because you gave them some soup and bread? or do i need to just pretend that its totally cool that the hero is just giving a metric shit tonne of money to feed into this slave system thats going to snatch and traffick more children so that mr. slave seller can sell the those displaced kids to the fucking insane perverts that we know are prevalent throughout the kingdom?

no matter how you approach the system, a legal market of slavery is fucking insane to have to interact with as a plot point or to even use as a gag, three seperate families decided to gamble their daughters lifes based on the fact that they know that sheild apperently loves slaves, not knowing if their children would get bought by their cult figure or again, if some creep with enough cash waltzed in.

"oh but shield hero told the slaver to send them home" why would we ever fucking trust this guy? he sells and trafficks children, he has no legal obligation to do shit except take in all the money the mc decides to dole out for the next batch of child slaves the manga wants to pretend hes saveing.

the slave stuff could have just been raph and filo and it would have been fine, a low point in the heros life that turned into a good thing, the orphans could have been from demi human settlements ABOUT to be sold into slavery and it would have worked JUST as well.

the slave stuff is fucking creepy.
It's how JK Rowling depicted slavery. Harry Potter, the hero of the story doesn't want to abolish slavery, but simply make everyone nicer to slaves then they'll be happy. Something dumbass Hermione dosen't understand when she tried to free the slaves and one got upset because that particular elf wanted to be a slave.

Pretty comical, and you can imagine the endless nerd debate regarding slaves in Harry Potter exactly like your comments and replies.

Dex-chan lover
man i want to enjoy these scenes but the slave stuff and half of them looking like children is fucking gross dude, i wish the author could get off this slave kick
I wish it were “follower”, or even “servant”. “Slave” has got a real lack of human rights stench to the word y’know? :/
Don't force yourself to follow popular titles.

Just block the title if you really can't stomach the themes, but don't tell people it's bad because you don't like it.

No one will die if you don't read this to the end, it's not like you paid an exorbitant amount to read here, so go read something else.

Fed-Kun's army
So he's a fighter and she's got some magical blind girl stuff going on...I can dig it

Dex-chan lover
You do realise slavery was the norm world wide until about ~1900s where it started to be banned in Europe who then forced everyone they could who still had slaves to comply to their norms.
Also on the frontier throughout history people got married younger ~14 years of age. Also its not Like he is flirting or bedding them. More of acting mayor trying to reunite families.
this isn't exactly true
Europe "got rid of" slavery at home b/c the gov could see the growing unrest
-not b/c they were all for championing the liberation of slaves worldwide
-which is why Europe proceeded to NOT do what you claimed and actually sided with the Confederates
wealthy plantation owners were also still getting compensated for "damages", some estimates say that due to the debt accrued from this bailout, Europeans to this day are still technically paying for it in taxes
-so among those in power slavery was cool but "not in our backyard" cuz it looks gross to the unruly masses

its form was later changed in America, the Prison Industrial Complex some call it
and in the most harsh overt instances, like Emerald Mines/ Lithium Factories etc, were for the savages of the 3rd world to bear b/c we can't have that happening out in the open in our civilized cities
-we'll take homeless encampments and people shitting and pissing on the streets but PLEASE just not that
we also forced Haitians to pay the French reparations for freeing themselves
Occupied and abused them under the guise of setting up peace keeping troops to go after gangs

//... now that i'm thinking about trafficked and enslaved kids... are we just gonna ignore a certain guy that "iced himself"
yknow a guy whose last name begins with "E" and rhymes with Einstein and certainly was an Einstein when it came to blackmailing many prominent figures, at least 1 coming from the Royal Family?

//lets not forget how a practically subjugated and enslaved people were promised autonomy if they were to do, what would later be called "the arab revolt" of WWI only to get spit at and learn that their owners and their allies in the west had greater plans for them (Isr***). really slavery is our past present and future, it is eternal

Lastly, you question why the news anchor
its not just ANY guy
that sir... is "Why don't you have a seaaaaaat right over heeeeeeerreeeeee" the predator himself from To Catch a Predator Chris Hansen.
Therein lies your guys' (including NotTriton and the 17 sewer rats) disconnect with EzDEZ and Paradox.
its clear based on the argumentation and the framing,
the bed fellows take issue with the depiction of slavery, which in most Isekai, winds up serving a few purposes.
-ez tragic backstory = sympathetic wahmen (cuz female 90% of the time)
-ez display of moral standing
-ez free puss for the savior MC who will eventually claim his reward or be convinced there is a reward to claim
it certainly doesn't help that there's a convenient explanation for Raphtalia to turn into a beauty after leveling appropriately.
also certainly doesn't help that the other tomboy has to get educated on the fact that "he" is actually a "she..."
so while i very much would like to disagree w/ some folks and say but LORE BRO -> BUT Naofumi has trust issues!!
with how the story has played out it looks like, and certainly feels like, the author wants to have his cake and eat it too
he wants to add depth to the dynamic at play to subvert the norms of this type of relationship while adhering to and employing other cliche elements.
the end result is a minor differentiation whether that constitutes a meaningful distinction... well...

Contributor
Naofumi in the manga adaption is much better than the anime, the anime is too much watered down in such content. The anime make too much compromises to be palatable to the western audience, this can lead to the failure in the long run because trying to please both sides, original novel fans and foreigners, will only lead to displease both. Anime production should stick with the original base of fans and not trying to cather to a wider audience. Anyway i'm glad that is only affect the anime and the manga is somehow more close to the original concept.

Also more cute slave animal lolis are always welcome on the boat. :p(y)(y)

Dex-chan lover
I think a lot of you all are failing to get the point of why he makes them into slaves. Here is a list.
1. Trust. Magical forced obedience means he can trust them not to betray him, to lie to him or hurt him. He is still hung up about that. After this long.
2. His shield has skills and abilities that makes those registered as his slaves become stronger than they would on their own.

I get the moral hang up on the slave thing, but that is a long standing plot device that will be around for a while.

So let's talk about how he gets annoyed with women trying to flirt with him, or get in his pants.

Again, chop this up to the Witch. Yeah, he's still hung up about that. Could even say it traumatized him. I wonder when he'll finally heal and get over that wall he put up... 🤔

None of this is spoilers btw. Quite a bit of it is all plot threads that started with the very first volume.
no, people understand
this is the go to defense, has been used for years
and tbh, i can see why its not working just took me a long ass time

Dex-chan lover
Oh boy, I remember this from the webnovel! I always pictured Nadia as a more slender orca, so knowing what might happen in the future was always funny to me. Now though, hoooo boy. Man, Raphtalia's jaleousy is gonna be through the roof.

And the comment section is a riot as always, I see.

Double-page supporter
Tangentially related to the discussion here: Honestly, I think at this point in the story, it's silly for Naofumi to still have trust issues. He's spent significantly more time as a revered and respected hero, surrounded by loving friends, capable of determining his life and tackling any challenge, well-connected to society, than he did as a loner outcast about to die in the first wave. He's won life at this point. He's won! And he has for a while. No way that does not have any sort of psychological impact.

I find it really annoying the author insists on making him go through 0 character growth. It's not really realistic that he never acknowledges to himself "hey, life is getting better." He clearly cares about Raphtalia and Filo, and is still outwardly nice to most, so these "trust issues" aren't even manifesting itself in his interactions or behavior - except for as an excuse to keep the slave mark and act mildly gruff for no reason.
To me it reads as some sort of weirdly self-indulgent escapist fantasy by the author. "Look I'm an asshole but also not really an asshole but I think I'm an asshole and everyone still likes me tihi".

Shield hero was a really nice deconstruction of isekais at the beginning, but like most parodies that keep going on, it eventually turned into a straight play of the parodied genre.

Dex-chan lover
WN readers eating good, I gotta say I didn't like Atla at first but she eventually became one of my favourite characters by the end of the WN

Dex-chan lover
help get them back to their country??? get them out of slavery? Not use them as a child work force that you disguises as uwu wholesome because you gave them some soup and bread? or do i need to just pretend that its totally cool that the hero is just giving a metric shit tonne of money to feed into this slave system thats going to snatch and traffick more children so that mr. slave seller can sell the those displaced kids to the fucking insane perverts that we know are prevalent throughout the kingdom?

no matter how you approach the system, a legal market of slavery is fucking insane to have to interact with as a plot point or to even use as a gag, three seperate families decided to gamble their daughters lifes based on the fact that they know that sheild apperently loves slaves, not knowing if their children would get bought by their cult figure or again, if some creep with enough cash waltzed in.

"oh but shield hero told the slaver to send them home" why would we ever fucking trust this guy? he sells and trafficks children, he has no legal obligation to do shit except take in all the money the mc decides to dole out for the next batch of child slaves the manga wants to pretend hes saveing.

the slave stuff could have just been raph and filo and it would have been fine, a low point in the heros life that turned into a good thing, the orphans could have been from demi human settlements ABOUT to be sold into slavery and it would have worked JUST as well.

the slave stuff is fucking creepy.
sir.. I don't think you are suitable to read fantasy genre work.

Users who are viewing this thread