TLDR Server upgrades, expected downtime, donation status and new contest

Status
Not open for further replies.
Contributor
For those asking, Paypal shut them off a while ago. Keep in mind scanlation really is a combination of piracy + translation, even if the intent is spreading the works to audiences who speak other languages. Since they host such a thing, Paypal cut them off. It was bound to happen sooner or later.

We can't use Paypal. Patreon would get shut down. BAT requires too much personal information for us to register with.

Which is leaves us crypto.

@zech49

You can see how good the site is by the user growth. Thank you to all who help keep mangadex running.

MD@Home
Thank you for providing us such an easy way of accessing manga. To put in my contribution I'll be putting up my server for MD@H. Hopefully it will alleviate some problems in the Canadian area :)

Sadly most of the USA has garbage upload speed so barely anyone will be able to meet the 40mbps upload speed required for mangadex(at)home unless they rent a seed box.

Most residential plans has a upload limit of 15mbps.

Case and point: I'm currently paying 140$ for 300mbps download but my upload is capped at 10mbps. And xfinity is the only ISP for my area. (California)

To get 15mbps upload I need to pay 300$ a month for their "business" plan.

Enterprise internet at 1200-1800 USD a month for just INTERNET nets me upload of 25mbps. (residential area)

This is why the clients for mangadex at home within the USA is non-existent. Because the only way to qualify is to donate monthly with a seed box.

Now if you were to rent a commercial lot space I can see 40mbps upload dataplans.

But who's going to pay 7k monthly to lease a commercial lot space just for upload speed.

A suggestion for the site since you guys are struggling with funds.

A "Watch An Ad" function where people can click on it whenever they want to. The rest of the site remains the same, ad-free. Everyone will be asked if they could click that maybe 5 times per month, but they don't have to if they don't want to. That way, the people that want to help donate but are unable to do so for various reasons will still be able to help out this way.

This is of course an idea that can be expanded on. It will make the site ad-free, but kinda not at the same time. I am sure there would be several people willing to watch a couple of ads to help out the site, voluntarily.

I also see others talking about t-shirts, and merch is a really good idea for profit. If t-shirts are too much, maybe stickers and smaller stuff. I am sure there are several artists and designers that use this site, so asking for someone to help out on different design ideas won't be too difficult, I assume.

Contributor
I hope to be back in a position to do my monthly donations again around the start of next month.

Staff
Admin
@Kyokai

You can get a 100/100mb/s unlimited bw, 500gb dedi for under $5 a month instead of spending 7k :D

Double-page supporter
@ixlone You're not talking about Le serveur dédié, are you?
hNF6FhU.png

Group Leader
I would like to ask If I join the bandwidth donate will that consume too much internet data ?

Will we be getting some prior notice and documentation when the v2 api is going to be released?

@ixlone

Some of us want to help mangadex but without additional cost, aka renting a seed box.

Which is currently impossible with the data speed restrictions imposed on mangadex(at)home.

Keep in mind for USA these speeds are "up to maximum" there is no guarantee you will reach these speeds.

Our ISP is not regulated like the EU.

This is approx what US has to work with.

https://imgur.com/a/xGJujYi

Worse yet, some of these plans don't even exist on parts of the US.

Your house might not have the plan available but your neighbor right across the street could have the plan available to them.

Remember when I said I'm paying 140$ for 300mbps download?

According to that chart I'm supposed to be getting 25Mbps upload however I'm capped at 10Mbps.

Edit: before anyone asks.

Q:"Why don't you just switch to a different ISP?"

A: To who? US ISPs are literally an oligopoly.
most areas has ONE single ISP providing service, don't like it? Tough Luck.

Double-page supporter
@Kyokai Are you suggesting to lower the requirements for MD-AT-HABITAT?

@Kcjpunk
I would like to ask If I join the bandwidth donate will that consume too much internet data ?
Yes https://mangadex.network - although it's kind of misleading because the admins still haven't figured out how to purge fake stats, most stats within the TB (terabyte) range seem realistic.
In short, if you're worried about the bandwidth, do not join.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread