Bottom-Tier Character Tomozaki-kun - Vol. 3 Ch. 14 - That One Underleveled Person in the Party Levels Up Super Fast (2)

Dex-chan lover
So normies are just life nerds? Gross...

What happened to the "take on responsibility"? That Mizusawa just talked big about some place that didn't turn out that good, and Hinami is making a positive example out of it?

@GuitarLegend
> I tagged along with the 4 normies...
Weren't there only 4 of them?

only thought in my head reading this was "so to be popular you need to be fake and adjust who you are", screw that! I'm me and I won't change for such stupid reasons.

Dex-chan lover
The balance is important. Some scenarios assume that nobody will really know what's good and accept theory, while others focus on the end result over the proposal since reputation is more important. "Not being good" is also different from "being bad", since what makes a quality tolerable can have nothing to do with actually being good. The hairstyle tangent was pretty good, while also showing the trendy guy giving MC a nice boost.

Dex-chan lover
I wonder what kind of a person the author actually is in reality, as a writer, especially a LN writer, I would think that they're a nerd, but then what business do they have writing a manga like this? Is it about how a need like them managed to become social?

This series really puts normies on a pedestal, and that's what rubs me the wrong way about it

Dex-chan lover
@iDiarkis It's not "change" but "bend". You don't have to greatly alter your personality, tastes or identity, but small momentary changes to adapt to the situation and people involved will greatly benefit you in the long run.

Think of it as changing your weapon in an RPG: you still have the dame character, same stats, same skills, same build and same armour, but now instead of a zweihander you're wielding a pair of daggers in order to beat that tricky boss you're fighting. You can still go back to your beloved greatsword once the battle ends, but for this particular guy the daggers will bring you great victory.

Dex-chan lover
@HYBRID_BEING There's a great difference between a place being "not that good" and it "outright sucking". The responsibility here lies in forcing your suggestions ("Hey let's go to this place, trust me, you guys will absolutely love it!") rather than passing your suggestion ("Hey, I hear of this one pizza place that serve great cheese, so you two who are hungry and you who adores cheese should like it"). The first one pretty much leaves you with all the responsibility since you kinda forced it on them, while the other one makes it a shared thing due to the other people also vouching for it due to their conditions (hungry and cheese lover).

Also, one thing to consider is the hype and the outcome. When you promote a place, you naturally generate expectations for it, so if the food comes out differently from what your companions expect, you will generate backlash in accordance to the hype you generated and how bad the food was; the thing about the pizza was that, while it was "not that good", it didn't suck (it was a "meh" pizza; not good, not bad, but meh), so the backlash was mitigated, not to mention that this was a "since we're hungry" suggestion and not a "it's a great place" suggestion, so the hype was lessened (besides, people say that hunger is the best condiment).

So, collective responsibility, smaller hype and lessened backlash, combined with greater social experience pretty much made the "bad outcome" go under the radar. It's a social thing, but then again that's what this series is about.

@VladDracul2 I get your point, that is why I never commented on it before but this time it felt more like changing who you are to me.
you can also say this is too much "bending" for my taste, but I might be a bit stubborn about being true to myself. maybe like I can switch my daggers for a one-handed sword but I will not use a two-handed one

Dex-chan lover
@iDiarkis Fair enough, you're being true to your essence, and that's fine! If anything, it's even better than being a different person with every encounter.

But the point is, you're still swapping your weapon to adapt the current strategy, bending your self a bit in order to fit the situation at hand, and that's the point the girl is trying to get across, that you should take the TPO into account and adapt to them.

Just remember the wise words from our dear memetic survival expert Bear Grylls:
overcome.jpg

Dex-chan lover
@VladDracul2
Well, Mizusawa said that he knows "a pizza place which has really good cheese", not that he heard about it (although, there might be a nuance lost in translation, perhaps?).
I do agree that he was only trying to rope Hinami into going there, so i guess it doesn't affect overall group mood as much, and he also pushed some of the responsibility onto her at the same time (though, that would't score any points with Hinami, if he's trying to make moves on her, haha).

Custom title
Staff
Developer
@iDiarkis posted:

only thought in my head reading this was "so to be popular you need to be fake and adjust who you are", screw that! I'm me and I won't change for such stupid reasons.
About as much as you need to be fake and adjust who you are in order to learn how to play a guitar. They're called "social skills" for a reason.

You will inevitably be a different person after learning something new. Everybody changes all the time, and that's good. Otherwise you'd still be a baby.

The only real problem is that Aoi says "getting people to agree is everything" when the entire point of this exercise was that there is responsibility for getting them to agree. Mizusawa got away with it because his suggestions were 'eh' or okay, but if they'd been terrible, it would have been a problem for him. What happened makes sense, but the way she talked about it contradicts her earlier lesson.

I think that "adjusting yourself to the interests of the person" might be a bit lost in translation. In English it has a sense of "making yourself seem that you're into the things they are" but that's just creepy and will eventually backfire. It should be more like "be aware of their interests and open to including them or listening to them" not that you have to change your own.

@Teasday yes everyone changes but my point is that she made it sound like he "has to" change whatever doesn't fit ith the rest, you shouldn't force yourself to change things you don't want to. i get that she probably doesn't mean it that way but it sounded like that to me, and that bothered me.

Custom title
Staff
Developer
@iDiarkis I mean, he does have to change if he wants to keep playing, whether he likes it or not. You make it sound like forcing yourself to change is necessarily bad when you don't want to do it, when that's not necessarily the case. People can have other motivations as well. I don't like forcing my personality and habits to change to, let's say, become a person who can get himself a proper job, I really don't want to do it, but I recognize that that's going to be beneficial to me in the long run anyway.

It's all a matter of what goals you set for yourself. If you don't naturally fit in with people, and your goal is to fit in, then you may indeed have to force yourself to change even if you don't want to. You can't really expect everyone else to fit in with you.

Either way, I think part of the problem here is just the... somewhat stilted translation. I kind of laughed when Tomozaki said Hinami's words were "eerily straightforward" because the translation was so weird that I couldn't even follow what she was saying.

Users who are viewing this thread