Call of the Night - Ch. 199 - A Fascinating Tale. You Should Become a Writer.

Dex-chan lover
i feel like next chapter might be a timeskip when Ko is all grownup working as a detective.

Dex-chan lover
The way this is ending it feels like it was all the backstory for a hardboiled vampire hunting halfbreed super hero who goes after the worst vampires.

Dex-chan lover
I just don't get, with just one chapter to go, what this approaching ending is for.

Romance? Nah main couple split, and the previous couple died
Friendship? Nah, all of MC's connections were still there months ago; and some of the latter ones are "out of the picture" or not too much relevant at the moment
Personal growth? Nah, doesn't seem so, he's still the same
Powers? Nah, he still has that morph power but it's not used for fighting

It doesn't address anything, things are just flowing by with no apparent closure. I'm like "ok but now what? Aimes, goals, whatever?" but I doubt things will change much in just one chapter 🤷🏻‍♂️ happy to be proven wrong, but I don't have much hope.

Also...what fate will await MC? The year thing is real?

Dex-chan lover
That was like… years ago atp
There’s significantly more of the story post-detective vs pre-detective
You might just not like this story
not the dude youre replying to, but, cant lie, yea, i never thought story arcs were the strong suit of this series. Whenever we had plot heavy arcs I always found they were worse than the ones closer to slice of life/organic development. The series started off pretty differently before the author decided to do more plot. I think the vampire lore is pretty weak and very contrived/made up on the go, everything in the series that revolves around trying to push the plot forward just feels like that, forced. I could've done without having any 'villains' in this story, none of the villains were actually well written when we got to the end of their stories

Dex-chan lover
I am so holdong on to hope, I do like that he is going to be Miss Detective's assistant. That was a great chapter. Thanks for the translation

Dex-chan lover
damn, I feel like this author just absolutely loves writing love stories but hates writing endings to them. Like, for fucks sake just let your protags get together for once.
I still don't get the consternation some people have about the ending to Dagashi Kashi. Hotaru floated the idea of marrying Kokonotsu, vowed to meet him again, and then actually returned in the final chapter. In one of the 4-koma omakes for the final volume, Hotaru gives permission to Kokonotsu to fool around with other girls with the knowledge that he will be marrying her which is equal parts scary and attractive.

What was wrong with her leaving, then coming back?

The entire manga: a teenage human and a teenage-ish vampire slowly falling for each other with other (and the boy wanting to become a vampire which will happen when he fully falls for her) and about the trials of other vampire/human couples around them.
You: Nooooooo it's actually about Healing. You're ignoring the themes to complain about the romance!"
The romance between Kou and Nazuna is indeed the engine of this narrative, but Kou's original problem wasn't "I want to become a vampire"-- it was "I'm fed up with other people". He wanted to become a vampire because he found freedom in the night, he found freedom in the night because he ventured into it, he ventured into the night because he became frustrated with his stagnation after withdrawing from society and wanted a change, and he withdrew from regular society because he found it (and the people within it) unbearable. And why did he find it unbearable?

Because he struggled to understand other people, girls or boys. He recognized that early enough (ch. 45, p. 9-11), and it was the reason he was struggling to come to love Nazuna at that point.

If you just focus on the "romance" aspect, most of this narrative goes to complete waste-- even most of the parts that said focus would recognize have much less value when examined with such a constrictive lens.

Dex-chan lover
I got this spoiled while it was on my waiting list, so looks like it will depend on the last chapter if i will read the entire thing.

Dex-chan lover
If you just focus on the "romance" aspect, most of this narrative goes to complete waste-- even most of the parts that said focus would recognize have much less value when examined with such a constrictive lens.

When it comes down to it, I think most readers (here at least) don't even begin to recognize even the earliest and initial plot points of the series. Which is why it's all largely a waste and why people feel like nothing has really happened.

I just don't get, with just one chapter to go, what this approaching ending is for.

Romance? Nah main couple split, and the previous couple died
Friendship? Nah, all of MC's connections were still there months ago; and some of the latter ones are "out of the picture" or not too much relevant at the moment
Personal growth? Nah, doesn't seem so, he's still the same
Powers? Nah, he still has that morph power but it's not used for fighting

It doesn't address anything, things are just flowing by with no apparent closure. I'm like "ok but now what? Aimes, goals, whatever?" but I doubt things will change much in just one chapter 🤷🏻‍♂️ happy to be proven wrong, but I don't have much hope.

Also...what fate will await MC? The year thing is real?

Case in point. They're so far removed, they really simply shouldn't have read this in the first place....because they weren't even 'reading' it in the first place either.

Author tried hardcore NTR bait and when he didnt get any NTR doujin out of it, because people were legit invested in the romance he fucking tanked and crashed his manga due to butthurt.

At it's most extreme, trying to match it to the rags they usually read, and getting disappointed when it doesn't conform to their ridiculous assumptions. When it comes down to it, you realize at least some people's criticism of this series tends to be limited to comparisons to other series or conversations about it's genre, as if certain set expectations are objective rules for a good story. They simply do not understand it. There's no other way for them to attack it.

Last edited:
Dex-chan lover
Nobody said romance always worked out.

Ahhh, I avoided the comments for this manga for many arcs after it became clear to me that a lot of readers felt 'cheated' because the characters are flawed, make mistakes, things don't work out, and it wasn't the lovey-dovey romcom some thought it was. Then blamed the manga and keep going on about how the series is 'objectively bad'. Quite a hoot.

Nice to see that hasn't changed a bit.

Reminds me of Kaminomi or Medakabox. It's predictable which series you Philistines end up yapping about....anything that doesn't neatly fit the mold. Good thing this series doesn't depend on you bootleg website parasites. It depends on millions of captivated Japanese readers (who most assuredly largely have the maturity to not read something they don't like, especially when hundreds of manga are at their fingertips) and a manga industry that heaps accolade after accolade on the series. I'm sure you edgy bois have far more elevated tastes, eh?

So the manga just happens to be axed at chapter 200 exactly and arrangements made months before, and a western show receiving Emmy's is equated to the Japanese manga industry's awards structure. And we should take the word of someone who thinks they're cool for having a contrarian opinion to millions of viewers of said show, and readers of said manga?

The level of delusion is astounding.

Little for me to say about the series itself at this point. By right it should speak for itself, it's great. By rights at least...
Of course they are going to let him finish the last volume. If that was the case they most likely told him he wouldn't be renewed and that he's headed for cancelation and to get his things in order. Your accusations against my person are not only uncalled but also way off mark, and pulled out of the depths of your ass. Dude you have the worst takes I've ever read, and you keep vomiting walls of text I don't intend in reading or finishing. Who the heck expects strangers to read that amount of BS? Don't quote me, don't talk to me, you're ridiculous. I'm just blocking you.

Last edited:
Dex-chan lover
This chapter made me feel better about a lot of things. But to me, there are two protagonists in Yofukashi no Uta, Kou and Nazuna. If Nazuna just stays out there being lonely forever, with the flimsy pretense that she's okay because she has her memories of her love, it's not a cool ending to me.

Dex-chan lover
Of course they are going to let him finish the last volume, they basically told him they won't be renewed and that he's heading for cancelation. Your accusations against my person are also way off mark, and pulled out of your ass. Dude you have the worst tales I've ever read, and you keep vomiting walls of text I don't intend in reading or finishing. Who the heck expects other to read that amount of BS? Don't quote me, don't talk to me, you're ridiculous. I'm just blocking you.

Shocking that people who spend most of their comments casting aspersions and making assumptions about others, especially behind their backs like against the author, can't take the same being said about themselves. I expected that ironic response. It's exactly why I said it in the first place.

Of course they will cancel an award winning manga that sells in the top 10 every volume, and whose sales from volume to volume has actually trended upwards over time. Even if the manga is objectively garbage (it's not), it's PURE delusion on your part that they would cancel a series with that kind of background. Talk about pulling shit out of your ass.

Last edited:
Dex-chan lover
High school detective, still a thing.

dang...
ez5XSXm.png

Dex-chan lover
Was it ever wholly explained where his powers came from?
No. It was only ever speculated on. Essentially they reasoned that, because he might have been half way in love, then maybe he was half way to becoming a vampire. But that was merely the characters guessing, and they acknowledged it as guesswork. It was never explained in any certain fashion.

Users who are viewing this thread