Ijiranaide, Nagatoro-san - Vol. 19 Ch. 140 - On that day... I... met... Senpai...

Dex-chan lover
140 chapters in and we finally learn why she liked him from the beginning :chad:
You could tell her reason VERY early in the story if you read between the lines. This chapter confirms my long sustained theory, that other attentive readers also saw.

And for people saying this "retcons" Nagatoro and her reasons, it's a good moment to go back to chapter 6 when she destroyed two boys that were trying to hit on her and Yoshi. Her attitude towards them was VERY different from the one with Senpai. Notice that one of the guys tried to sell himself as a musician and made her listen to his music. Nagatoro shot him down because she said his music "didn't make her feel anything, like he didn't even try". So the playful and slightly mean teasing is reserved for Senpai, whose art she knew well as well as the effort and passion he put into it. From that point I knew what tickled her: it's passionate people that put effort in what they do.
Much later when her judo background was discovered and Orihara entered the story (the first judo tournament and the kiss promise), I knew this early revelation of her character would come into play, and boy it did. Few chapter after that she joined the judo club, rekindling her own passion thanks to Naoto' encouragement.

Double-page supporter
You could tell her reason VERY early in the story if you read between the lines. This chapter confirms my long sustained theory, that other attentive readers also saw.

And for people saying this "retcons" Nagatoro and her reasons, it's a good moment to go back to chapter 6 when she destroyed two boys that were trying to hit on her and Yoshi. Her attitude towards them was VERY different from the one with Senpai. Notice that one of the guys tried to sell himself as a musician and made her listen to his music. Nagatoro shot him down because she said his music "didn't make her feel anything, like he didn't even try". So the playful and slightly mean teasing is reserved for Senpai, whose art she knew well as well as the effort and passion he put into it. From that point I knew what tickled her: it's passionate people that put effort in what they do.
Much later when her judo background was discovered and Orihara entered the story (the first judo tournament and the kiss promise), I knew this early revelation of her character would come into play, and boy it did. Few chapter after that she joined the judo club, rekindling her own passion thanks to Naoto' encouragement.
oh yeah i remember that as well , ngl this chapter was a great representation of how much development these 2 had compared to early in the story , and who would have thought that nanashi would write such wholesome story (if you know his background)

still i really wanna see how this will go and i am looking forward to orihira's reaction as well after what we saw last chapter

P.S: that throw by orihira was brutal XD

I think Nagatoro was really just playing a prank on senpai at first. But when she getting along with him, she gradually feeled his efforts.

Dex-chan lover
orihara being thrown at the end fo the match: so this is trust, universe 7's nagatoro and senpai's power...

Dex-chan lover
Why is there no Ne Waza(ground fighting). Also how did she let her opponent out of a kouchi gari?
Because Judo judges like to stand people up if there's not progress being made instantly and someone is obviously going for a pin. It's high school Judo in Japan, not adults doing BJJ in the US. You only ne-waza when there is no score, but the ref called waza-ari for a half point. The idea is an ippon is something that would likely end a fight if done with bad intent on a hard surface, and thus ends the match, and a waza-ari is something that might not end a fight, but would be a big deal so they are just stood back up. I personally might not have called that waza-ari and let them wrestle a bit myself, but I'm also not a Japanese youth Judo ref.

And her stance was way too low and forward for Nagatoro to sweep that leg, all her weight is on that front leg so it's not getting swept, especially with her center of gravity so low. She was exactly where you don't want to be to Kouchi Gari someone, you want their feet closer together and no more than 60% of their weight. Ideally you catch it when their weight is off it to break their base and push them down that way.

Last edited:
Fed-Kun's army
I don't see the point in practicing martial arts when you are a woman
I could easily rape every single woman in that place, and I am not even into martial arts or especially stronge or anything
Aware that this is just lame bait; but I encourage you to go into any Judo or BJJ gym and read your le epic troll so you can get concussed in about 15 seconds by a woman half your size

"This is a retcon"
For fucks sake, did you guys speed read this manga or ignore ch. 6?? damm

Because Judo judges like to stand people up if there's not progress being made instantly and someone is obviously going for a pin. It's high school Judo in Japan, not adults doing BJJ in the US. You only ne-waza when there is no score, but the ref called waza-ari for a half point. The idea is an ippon is something that would likely end a fight if done with bad intent on a hard surface, and thus ends the match, and a waza-ari is something that might not end a fight, but would be a big deal so they are just stood back up. I personally might not have called that waza-ari and let them wrestle a bit myself, but I'm also not a Japanese youth Judo ref.

And her stance was way too low and forward for Nagatoro to sweep that leg, all her weight is on that front leg so it's not getting swept, especially with her center of gravity so low. She was exactly where you don't want to be to Kouchi Gari someone, you want their feet closer together and no more than 60% of their weight. Ideally you catch it when their weight is off it to break their base and push them down that way.
Unless the rules changed 4ish months ago, then you still keep fighting even if there is a waza-ri as you can use ne-waza to gain the other half point. The reset only happens after a certain period of nothing happening in ne-waza. But ideally you seamlessly transition from throw to hold or turtle/flat turn over.

And no she already threw her with the Kouchi Gari as she fell, the issue is she somehow twisted onto her stomach which the balance break(chest contact) prevents. But somehow in first panel they are facing each other with a collar grip and a sweep next panel collar grip is on other collar and back is somehow facing Nagatoro. Its almost as if her opponent teleported. A more proper escape from Kouchi/Ouichi is to step off or to counter with something like a Uchimata.

Maybe your club rules are different idk. Does your club follow the IJF rules? As I have never had any of my competition fights stopped due to my waza-ari and our country follows the IJF standard.

Last edited:
Dex-chan lover
@AbyssalArray the IJF rules say the referee can let it go to ne-waza. Not that they have to. It's probably because nobody had control when they went to the ground.
And because I learned Judo before it got stupid, I would have called that as a yuko, not a waza-ari, since Toro went down onto her forearms. As for the rest, I don't get the same thing out of the picture. Toro tried to kouchi, and it didn't work. I went back and looked and we are talking about different panels and I got a couple of different panels mixed up together

Also remember Japanese youth stuff is Kodokan, not IJF.

Last edited:
Dex-chan lover
Unless the rules changed 4ish months ago, then you still keep fighting even if there is a waza-ri as you can use ne-waza to gain the other half point. The reset only happens after a certain period of nothing happening in ne-waza. But ideally you seamlessly transition from throw to hold or turtle/flat turn over.

And no she already threw her with the Kouchi Gari as she fell, the issue is she somehow twisted onto her stomach which the balance break(chest contact) prevents. But somehow in first panel they are facing each other with a collar grip and a sweep next panel collar grip is on other collar and back is somehow facing Nagatoro. Its almost as if her opponent teleported. A more proper escape from Kouchi/Ouichi is to step off or to counter with something like a Uchimata.

Maybe your club rules are different idk. Does your club follow the IJF rules? As I have never had any of my competition fights stopped due to my waza-ari and our country follows the IJF standard.
Don't you love it when your favorite RomCom brings out the deep thinking sports discussions??

Dex-chan lover
Really good point
I pointed this out earlier, but let me reiterate it, remember the environment that Hayase grew up in, teasing was a normal function in the Nagatoro household, you see how well Misaki and Taiga can fluster their little sister, she probably never considered that it might not be a normal thing

Dex-chan lover
I would say that "Rent a Grilfriend" is at the last place of romcon but, that manga has zero romance at this point so ye.
Actually, most of the current RomComs are close to or have achieved Couple Status. Right now, Marin and Gojo have still not advanced to the couple stage yet, while Jirou just pulled off a Christmas Stunner by confessing to Akari. We already have two couples married, the Shiroganes and the Nishikatas, and Kubo and Shiraishi are on track for their own marriage.

Dex-chan lover
This is actually HUGE revelation for me. not sure if I missed a chapter before but the Mangaka FINALLY explained why Nagatoro chose to stay back and ridicule Senpai and eventually end up befriending each other. she was kind of projecting, using him as a scapegoat as she is running away from her ambition which is to beat her rival in Judo. Now it all comes full circle and I can sleep easy now that the reason for Nagatoro to stay back and get along with Senpai in Chapter 1 is finally revealed

Users who are viewing this thread