Kanojo, Okarishimasu - Ch. 266 - The Girlfriend and the Birthday II (Part 3)

Dex-chan lover
Poor guy. He was told explicitly not to celebrate her bday but he's gonna find out that she celebrated with her other friends AND made plans with Sumi? Ouch dude.

I can see there being a path toward progress if she can interrogate why she was able to be open with him about her dislike of her own birthday but still just puts on the fake smile for everyone else in her life.

I hope he isn't able to hide his disappointment about it and she has to go and reach out to him actively.

But none of that will probably happen so, whatever
Kazu-cuck deserves whatever NTR thingy that will arrive to his life

Group Leader
I read a chapter of this manga about every 3 months and surprise surprise there is no development once again. I am so glad I stopped reading this when I did, it's just miserable.

Group Leader
Am I the only one just skimming through all these new chapters, praying for anything to happen that will advance this plot?
Not skimming yet, but I'm quick reading. Normally I like to take my time with each panel when reading.

Group Leader
^LOL Sumi endgame is not gonna happen~

It's been a while since the last time I read this manga. The main character is as pathetic as ever. It really makes me wonder who's the real-life inspiration for him.

I mean, I truly understand the values of sincere kindness from a simple Japanese boy and all that but, after 250+ chapters, Kazuya is just way too pathetic.

The author really needs to upgrade him soon. The balance with Chizuru's maturity is just way off.

By the way, this birthday plot with Chizuru and her theatre "friends" is just too cliche but it's acceptable and perhaps even necessary, I guess.
The author, Reiji, is purposely keeping the manga in a cycle. He spent about 40 chapters making Kazuya grow out of his panic attacks only to quickly reintroduce them.

Dex-chan lover
Can anyone explain to me what this chapter adds to the plot?
I think it reinforces the fact that people outside of the main group don't truly care about her. I think the author wants the character distances from anyone other than his MC. Also this author is legit batshit crazy.

Dex-chan lover
The pace is slow but I don't understand the angst about it. It's 5 minutes out of your life once a week like who really cares how fast or slow it goes I'm wasting my life reading manga either way so whether it ends tomorrow or in ten years i do not care

Fed-Kun's army
Over 30 comments and all your egos are so overblown 25 of them are exactly the same.

It's a natural progression of things. The story does really well, it's gonna get extended. You guys view it as padding, I'm sure the author views it as an opportunity to really delve into the detail of the day to day of these characters to make bigger moments have smaller bits of meaning foreshadowed and worked through.

Most of you say "but where ma plot?!?!😡" When in reality the overall plot point at the moment is about Chizuru coming to terms with the new norms she wants to build in life. Kazuya and Yaemori living with her are forcing her to reevaluate how she feels about close relationships and how she spends her free time going forward. Because if left to herself, she's gonna put months of silence out there and ruin the relationships she cares about but doesn't know how to come to terms with.

If y'all don't understand our protagonist by this point your comment is just projection. "Bro, he needs to change." No, he needs something very specific and if you're paying attention, he's gonna actualize himself and it's gonna be 👌. But I guarantee most are gonna say "that came outta left field" or "why now?!?!" Damned escapism devourers

Last edited:
Yes, I know you went through a lot of chapters. Stop commenting the same shit everytime, nobody cares, nobody asked. Just talk about the content of the chapter, even if it is as little as this one.

The author, Reiji, is purposely keeping the manga in a cycle. He spent about 40 chapters making Kazuya grow out of his panic attacks only to quickly reintroduce them.
I wholeheartedly agree with you. You could really feel the push-pull from the author.

The last time I really read this manga was around the crowdfunding & film thing. You could really sense that "something" was about to materialize in the near future then.

But, now (after catching up), I could certainly feel that the author chose to backpedal. It's understandable though.

He simply went too far, especially with Chizuru. A resolution was just around the corner and yet he still needed more chapters (it's his source of income after all).

It's not that the author is using an unacceptable device: distance (not physical) & the doubt/anxiety that comes with it (or, like you said, the panic attacks LOL).

You could sense that the author is trying to make us think, "Perhaps, Chizuru is simply being grateful of Kazuya's kindness. She doesn't think of him in a romantic way.". But, at the same time, he also wants us to think, "Perhaps Chizuru just doesn't fully understand her feelings. She needs time to arrange her thoughts.".

It's totally acceptable for him to do so.

My only beef with the current state of affairs is how Chizuru's currently way beyond Kazuya's level. It feels way off balance.

In the last few chapters, Kazuya is the same as ever (or arguably, he's grown backwards) but we currently have way too many of Chizuru's awesome displays of maturity. Unlike 100 or 200 chapters ago.

Of course, it's undeniable that Kazuya gave things that Chizuru actually needed. But, with the current imbalance of character, the relationship simply feels like the great lady and her handyman. (Yes, I intentionally choose the word "handyman")

However, what truly fascinates me is the fact that this manga has plenty of hardcore fans. Just take a look at this comments (discussion) section.

Fed-Kun's army
The only way to “read” rent-a-girlfriend is to read it like a child reads a picture book lol

I think it reinforces the fact that people outside of the main group don't truly care about her. I think the author wants the character distances from anyone other than his MC. Also this author is legit batshit crazy.
ok, i can partially understand the intention of making chizuru aware of the vacuity of the entertainment world to which she has linked her dream, creating a chiaroscuro compared to the group of real friends who care about her. but it seems to me such a long story, so watered down.

Dex-chan lover
ok, i can partially understand the intention of making chizuru aware of the vacuity of the entertainment world to which she has linked her dream, creating a chiaroscuro compared to the group of real friends who care about her. but it seems to me such a long story, so watered down.
So true. The publishers told him to keep it going even though he wanted to end it. I don't expect an ending in the next year, unless he gets cancer.

Users who are viewing this thread