Legacy reader is officially retired from today.

Legacy reader is officially retired from today.

• Loli Emilia is best

Votes: 1,001 28.0%
  • Emilia is best

Votes: 915 25.6%
  • I'm lame and like Rem

Votes: 1,656 46.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Dex-chan lover
@quiz96 You mean you're gonna keep using the legacy reader? But it's already broken/not available anymore though? Or you mean until the default/"new" reader breaks too?

@Yatsuki The legacy reader still works for me on new chapters. Given my declining reading habits, it doesn't really make sense for me to change my setup when what I use the site for the most still works.

In all honesty the sidebar has a lot of ways for improvement.
For example what is this wasted space? Maybe you could put chapter comments there?

K5ogDLl.png

Group Leader
@eCinS

YE-YE-YEAH!!(?)
GsrYdta.png

Maybe you could put chapter comments there?

NO, don't​

I mean, I wouldn't recommend that. That would take much more time, just like Disqus.

nYOGvVk.png

Look at her, she's so happy about the new reader.

Double-page supporter
@eCinS Then even more people would complain, saying it's complicated and their brain hurts.
Not everyone wants to see chapter comments. Also, putting them there will outright murder the database.
On mobile, this menu is at the top and has no empty space. Sure, devs could add some functionality only for desktop users, but then they'll have to cut it from mobile version or vice versa. This is a huge maintenance headache, which was one of the main reasons why the legacy reader got killed in the first place.
etc-etc.

Well, shit.
I guess I'll have to download everything now, since the new reader is a pile of smelly substance. It wouldn't be much problem is scanlators had their own sites and download links, but nope.

@Richman Can only speak for myself, but the new reader is waaay heavier on weak internet, causing lots of failed image loading and forcing me to spend my data on repeated pages reloading.

So, yeah, pretty sad news for me.

The legacy reader is superior as you can access comments and the previous chapter quicker through the buttons on the bottom of the page. Plus, the UI was more enjoyable and cosy enough to provide the feeling of a hug from a small warm blanket (anyone who thinks otherwise is a liar and cannot be trusted).

But the default reader can still be almost as appealing by setting the maximum container width to 500 pixels, setting it to long strip mode, disabling the page clicker, and hoping images don’t fail to load. Though, I will need to do redo these settings on my tablet and computer as I always use incognito mode (in contrast to legacy reader where I didn’t have to).

Maybe if I didn’t submit so many broken image reports the legacy reader would of stayed longer, smh.

My issue with losing legacy reader is the fact that it's impossible to save images on any other reader. Time to go back to screenshots, I guess...

Does the current reader work on older devices again, beacause it stopped loading images for me after the last update and thats why i switched to legacy that worked for me. If not then i guess i have to start looking for a not so user/scanlator friendly site to get my manga fix.

This is why I just download the chapters from the scanlators' site or from here once a new chapter's released.

Head Contributor Wrangler
Staff
Super Moderator
@tadamis You can save images in the new reader, not sure what the problem is.

@anotherone The new reader and the old reader load literally the same images, except the new reader lets you reload individual pages and puts less load on our servers to do so.

Well I am sorry to hear that. Although I don't know who she/he is or what he/she does, Is she/he like a scanslator of sorts?
but whatever the case, he/she must sound like a incredible contributor in MangaDex.

Dex-chan lover
Now that I'm trying out the new reader (single page reading mode), I actually have a question about it.

Is there any way to add a couple pixels tall footer at the bottom of the page?
I got used to having that "© 2021 MangaDex | Path Network | sdbx.moe | DDoS Protection by DDoS-GUARD" footer taking some space at the bottom of the legacy reader so I'm kind of missing the ability to scroll down a little below the page I'm viewing. I'm not finding the option for this in the reader settings.
And having the option for some white space above the image would be nice too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread