Maou ni Natta node, Dungeon Tsukutte Jingai Musume to Honobono suru - Ch. 70.2

Dex-chan lover
This happens when you throw characters randomly with little to no value for the story. Nobody cares or remembers them

Dex-chan lover
Man... Every each chapter updated, the drawing becoming more & more bad. Ngl, like man....

Double-page supporter
No body remembering the beast maids backstory of her being a runaway
Her backstory was last mentioned on the 10th and the 11th page of chapter 57.2, which is in the beginning of the previous volume, but perhaps nevertheless recent enough for not being totally forgotten by the Japanese readers.

The translator called her “Ryu” (not “Lew”) at that time, adding that to the confusion.

Personally I prefer the WN's first translator's version of her name (“Lyuu”, as far as I remember) despite other flaws of that translation (such as omitting absolutely every “onii-san” in Nell's speech and dancing some strange dances around the term “Maou”, especially in the dragons' village's shrine).

Dex-chan lover
Instantly shows the people with really bad memory 😝..but then again I like the serie so I remember stupid shit that's completely pointless. Also this Lew arch next up atleast in the LN is kinda intertaining.
Though the sudden appearance of Lew's dad and instant betrothel of Lew and Yuki is kinda really meh. Hello wife nr 3 😑
Cut the people some slack, it's been six years :wtf:

Group Leader
I just hope Mofurir's name isn't changed to what's in the wiki. I really hate when names are translated instead of just romanized. Just look at the confusion just with going from Lyu to Lew. There is absolutely no reason that a characters name (human, animal, or otherwise) to be translated. Imagine if Naruto in the english release was called "Fish Cake Roll" or something similar...

Dex-chan lover
I just hope Mofurir's name isn't changed to what's in the wiki. I really hate when names are translated instead of just romanized. Just look at the confusion just with going from Lyu to Lew. There is absolutely no reason that a characters name (human, animal, or otherwise) to be translated.
While I generally agree, some names aren't meant to be proper names, but actually the meaning literally written. Those work better if translated. I mean, Fluffrir sounds dumb as fuck, but that's what the original sounds like in Japanese, and that's the author's intention. Mofurir doesn't work unless you know enough Japanese, and if you have to add a translator's note then the joke's already failed.

So yes, there is a reason to translate some names. But they're generally rare.

I think the main confusion with Lyuu to Lew is that the former is two syllables while the latter is one, so the difference appears to be greater. It's not like anyone (that I've seen) care of you write Leila or Layla. However, it's a different problem, as that's more about how you transcrible リューイン, as Lyuuin or as Lewin, and both are valid, and which people got used to first.

Group Leader
While I generally agree, some names aren't meant to be proper names, but actually the meaning literally written. Those work better if translated. I mean, Fluffrir sounds dumb as fuck, but that's what the original sounds like in Japanese, and that's the author's intention. Mofurir doesn't work unless you know enough Japanese, and if you have to add a translator's note then the joke's already failed.

So yes, there is a reason to translate some names. But they're generally rare.

I think the main confusion with Lyuu to Lew is that the former is two syllables while the latter is one, so the difference appears to be greater. It's not like anyone (that I've seen) care of you write Leila or Layla. However, it's a different problem, as that's more about how you transcrible リューイン, as Lyuuin or as Lewin, and both are valid, and which people got used to first.
I do get the "nick name" types. I agree, they aren't a proper name and should be translated. Maou-sama becoming Demon Lord, Demon King, Dark Lord, etc, is perfectly fine, afterall it's not a name. But when a character has a name, and it's translated regardless, that's what irks me. I get that Mofu (japanese) = fluff (english), and as you pointed out, a translators note would be needed for those not in on the joke. Years ago, this was common place, and in many of the better translations, pretty much always present when neccessary (too many notes could be just as bad as just "translating" everything just so there is no Japanese left). Imagine if for every foreign country with a different language then your own that you visited, you had to "translate" your name for thier language instead of just representing your actual name in thier language.

When I see such occurances I always think back to Flying Witch. Makotos' familiar cat name is チト. Since the first fan translations it was never translated, just romanized to Chito, like any other name of a character in a manga should be. Fast forward a couple of years to when it got an official translation, and suddenly the cats name is now Shade. From Chito (チト), to Shade. Did they just come up with some random name for the cat? I can't find any translation of チト even remotely coming close to or inferring anything pertaining to or related to Shade.

Anime is another thing that irks me when a character is clearly saying something in (not so perfect) English, and the subtitles will translate that English speech to something else...

Dex-chan lover
But when a character has a name, and it's translated regardless, that's what irks me. I get that Mofu (japanese) = fluff (english), and as you pointed out, a translators note would be needed for those not in on the joke.
But a note is not needed with a translation, and you convey more or less the exact same thing that the author intended. That's the better option.

Years ago, this was common place, and in many of the better translations, pretty much always present when neccessary (too many notes could be just as bad as just "translating" everything just so there is no Japanese left).
Translation notes are a crutch when you can't figure out how to properly translate something. They take the reader out of the story and remind you that not only are you reading a fictional work, you're reading a fictional work that's been translated from another language.

Imagine if for every foreign country with a different language then your own that you visited, you had to "translate" your name for thier language instead of just representing your actual name in thier language.
Yeah, and that's a different thing. As I said, there's no sufficient reason to translate names in most cases. In this case it's even counterproductive to what I said before, since by translating my name it hides the origin of the name, which is strongly tied to my birthplace. That's losing context by translating it.

But if I wanted to live in Japan and try to fit in more like a Japanese citizen, I probably would translate my name, more or less loosely so it becomes a good name in Japanese. And even if I didn't want to translate it, I'd pick a non-standard transliteration of it, since the standard one for my name is less accurate to the Swedish pronunciation of the name due to a unique feature of the language, but that's beside the point.

Did they just come up with some random name for the cat? I can't find any translation of チト even remotely coming close to or inferring anything pertaining to or related to Shade.

Anime is another thing that irks me when a character is clearly saying something in (not so perfect) English, and the subtitles will translate that English speech to something else...
And that's yet another thing. It's a localisation, like how Satoshi from Pokémon is named Ash in English. It's something you may or may not agree on (my opinion depends on case by case), but generally the target audience is not people already familiar with Japanese language and customs.

Dex-chan lover
People, have you ever read any other manga before? He is clearly the brother of the beastgirl, on his way to be a pain in the ass... I can almost guarantee you that he will attack unprompted the MC, and they will be on the verge of killing each other, until what's-her-name will jump out to defend MC saying he is her saviour.

Double-page supporter
People, have you ever read any other manga before? He is clearly the brother of the beastgirl,
No, he is not her brother.

I can almost guarantee you that he will attack unprompted the MC,
His attack will, in fact, be prompted by some words uttered by the MC and by the following understanding that he's against the Demon Lord of the Wicked Forest (presumed hostile).

And as for the reason of such presumed hostility…

…we are actually a bit unlucky because in this cliffhanger we are shown just the shout “I've finally found a clue!” itself without actually being shown what the clue has been (i.e. what exactly the unconscious human has just told the beastman before losing his consciousness and then how that clue could influence the beastman).

Let's just all hope that it has been done just for the sake of emphasizing the cliffhanger and that the same scene can be and will be elaborated very soon (in the next half-chapter) similar to the previous cliffhanger about Lefi's intention to accept Nell as the second wife of Yuki (that was also first dropped on the readers of this manga and then further elaborated).

and they will be on the verge of killing each other
Nope, he won't ever be close to the verge of killing our MC.

Dex-chan lover
noone asking the most important questions here...
has he penetrated his dear dragon wife yet? and has he fed her his manly cream yet?
perhaps she allows him a harem because his penetrations and cream injections is more then she can handle on her own?

Users who are viewing this thread