Modern Villainess: It’s Not Easy Building a Corporate Empire Before the Crash - Vol. 2 Ch. 10 - The Lady's Flight (7)

Supporter
1. She inhereted properties from her dead parents. Those properties are managed by proxies. Those proxies are the ones making all the calls with no one knowing Runa is involved. The family probably ignored the small and medium buyouts, but obviously they are going to going to stick their noses in now that they ate up a big bank

2. Her actions up until now didn't have enough impact up until she ate up the big bank. While butterfly effect is a thing, there is also scooping up water from an ocean. She did consider the possibility that due to her influence, the tech stocks she bought may fail so she isn't ignoring the possibility. Just so far she hasn't triggered the right butterfly to change those events yet
Thank you, your reply was extremely helpful

Dex-chan lover
Does anyone know if the raws say Japan sued for peace rather than "surrendered," unconditionally or otherwise?
As far as I recall, they conditionally surrendered. I don't know how they did that
While the fundamental point made by @Gunlord500 (omitted in my quotation) is quite valid, the notion that the Japanese state surrendered truly unconditionally is a myth. Roosevelt, who had declared that surrender would have to be unconditional and who would have been quite willing to exterminate the Japanese, was dead.

The Japanese state sought and got a guarantee that the Emperor would not be removed.

The Japanese state had, even after the dropping of a second nuclear bomb, sought three further concessions (domestic handling of disarmament and of trials of war criminals, and no occupation) but those further conditions were rejected.

Aggregator gang
1. By parents i don't mean just Mom/Dad i mean Niece, Uncle, Grandmas etc
2. The thing for me isn't the ignoring the consequence of her actions, but starting new actions thinking they'll fit a future that wasn't warped while warping it prior
Other than distant unofficial relatives (her maid is from illegitimate children lineage), she only has uncle and older male cousin. They are displayed on the last page.
Others are from branch families.

Now the uncle is the head of the family and has final say, but he put the butler in charge of Runa estate. Including all her assets management.

It was unnoticed until suddenly Keikain Runa owned several big business. At this point people in the family just think the butler and Ichijo the banker manipulating everything.

Uncle noticed but just think it was the butler, doing it out of loyalty to his dead master (Runa's father). So he ignored it. The uncle wouldn't expect them to suddenly took on billions of debt.

How on earth would an independent capitalist Manchuria exist into modern times? Everyone at the time agreed it was a wildly illegitimate state and that image wouldn't change even it the Japanese were forced to abandon it. It'd share huge indefensible borders with two giant communist states that'd hate its guts. The USSR would hate having a huge capitalist state directly on its borders threatening its access to the Pacific, the People's Republic of China would hate it for obvious reasons, and both would want access to the many resources of Manchuria.

The US-led UN peacekeeping force barely managed to defend a relatively miniscule and mountainous frontline in Korea, how on earth would America manage in mainland China? Even if America somehow won the First Manchuria War they'd just wait till the US left and invade it again, very easily. Both Japan and especially the Soviet Union have shown how easy invading Manchuria is.

A communist Manchuria and a capitalist China would make way more sense but that'd alter history so much it'd be completely unrecognizable.

How on earth would an independent capitalist Manchuria exist into modern times? Everyone at the time agreed it was a wildly illegitimate state and that image wouldn't change even it the Japanese were forced to abandon it. It'd share huge indefensible borders with two giant communist states that'd hate its guts. The USSR would hate having a huge capitalist state directly on its borders threatening its access to the Pacific, the People's Republic of China would hate it for obvious reasons, and both would want access to the many resources of Manchuria.

The US-led UN peacekeeping force barely managed to defend a relatively miniscule and mountainous frontline in Korea, how on earth would America manage in mainland China? Even if America somehow won the First Manchuria War they'd just wait till the US left and invade it again, very easily. Both Japan and especially the Soviet Union have shown how easy invading Manchuria is.

A communist Manchuria and a capitalist China would make way more sense but that'd alter history so much it'd be completely unrecognizable.
That is not the same Japanese puppet of Manchuria. This timeline is widely different in some aspects (like the Normandy Landings failing, which means war in Europe dragged on or ended in 1944 if we go by politicians notes of the period if Overlord failed). This Manchuria is supposedly the RoC since Japan kept Formosa.

Also, there's also to note that the Korean War, while violent, was a limited war for most players involved (the US did commit large resources, but it wasn't an existential threat like WW2). Both sides attacked and defend parallel 38 (which was the front since McArthur's screw-up meant soldiers were few and not prepared for China), but it was a stalemate, none wanted to commit enough resources to break it for Korea.

Finally, this is an otome's game world. Don't expect much consistency in setting the scene unless it's necessary for the plot (like the US). There's a reason the only thing we know about Europe is that the Normandy landings failed and there was a USSR (at least up to Vol. 2).

Dex-chan lover
Well... I'm quite late.

I read up on the other posts up to now too.

Interesting thoughts.

There really isn't anything too deep to think about this chapter. It is the epilogue Lost Decades arc. I am funnied for the typical "western blonde man" that was depicted for the Acting Lawyer (haha... is this a pun?) on the press release. Too bad that it was less than I thought. Still fun tho.

Over all, this is really to wrap up the loose threads and missing background knowledge that readers need/want to know to follow along. It is also to illustrate (quite literally) the process and logic steps that allowed for her actions to happen and show the "reality" of how agencies like the BoJ work in that context.

That is... about it really. Oh! I'm happy with what I read of course lol

Onto other things:

1) This is what is defined as "Parent" according to the Cambridge Dictionary. While it is quite amusing for some folks to mistake some things about the status of Runa-chan's parents (they are unequivocally dead for the dense)... it is even more funny to see that certain someone try to pivot and try to include "Uncles" and extended family into it. Funny on how this is a self-ownage on not knowing what "Parent" means, but it is also a self-outing that they were not reading properly because...

2)The Keikan family considers Runa-chan to be a "Black Sheep" of the family. Considering that they have brought shame to the family due to certain scandals (the mother being a honey trap set up by Northern Japan to harm the Keikan family and the Father falling for schemes that basically made him a tool to harm Japan and its western allies via USSR/Northern Japan intelligence agencies) that forced the family to "cover up" these transgressions.... There is noone in the mainline or even Extended Keikan family that stepped up to even be a "parental figure" to Runa-chan.... The closest one that acted like that (as a Father figure) is Tachibana-san, their unrelated-by-blood butler. So its quite moot tbh.

This distaste for Runa-chan just grows further and further. Certain elements in the Keikan family even aided in a kidnapping attempt on Runa-chan. I don't know about you or your definition of "family" but I sure as heck wouldn't consider that family at all... Also, Nakamoro might have wanted to step in, but he is more of an "Onii-san" figure... and he was also barred from directly interacting with Runa-chan (presumably) before due to the stigma around her... You don't exactly want the sole Heir to the family interacting with "unsavoury characters" after all...

3) Runa-chan inherited nothing from her parents beyond their genetics, her father's name, and their sins. Even the "Far Eastern" things is "hers" because the Keikan family as a whole "owns" the Far Eastern stuff. How? It is part of their coverup of the aforementioned transgressions and ass wiping of the bad stuff that happened (for those who read the LN, you should know what I'm referencing here). So she might be technically considered "an owner" of the Far Eastern stuff, but it is only because of the Keikan name, not because she directly inherited it from her parents.

4) Here's a big spoiler block:
It actually isn't Koizumi who figures it out. In fact, he was told by it by Secretary-General Hayashi near the end of LN vol 1. But even before then, there has been rumblings and whispers that it wasn't the figureheads of Tachibana and Ichijou who are actually pulling the strings. There is someone else behind it.

For those closer to the truth, they beginning to suspect (even if at face value, quite impossible) the girl that they are supposedly using to justify their actions.

Because of the earlier pointed out Kidnapping attempt, Runa-chan's Uncle and Cousin/Nakamoro-nii actually confirms that it is Runa who is controlling MLF.

So basically, there's quite a bit of people who figured out what Runa-chan is doing before Koizumi... Infact, Koizumi didn't even "figure out" anything. He was told

5) People are trying to rationalize what is basically "what-ifs" in real history. This is a fool's errand. In practical terms, just remember that the "world" that this manga is set in is an "Otome" world in which the Developers put in an inordinate amount of detail to justify certain things as they are (why are there still Zaibatsu? Also, the Zaibatsu itself is just used as a vehicle to give Runa-chan a measure of "Royalty/Peerage". The whole Russian thing was made just to give Runa-chan blonde hair, etc etc...).

In more of a slant... It is even pointed out (was it mentioned in the Manga or the LN only?.... Bah, we're passed that in terms of how the plot matches on Manga vs LN anywho) that while it is not an unconditional surrender, the US and allies still messed with Japan's military capabilities (thus is why they still have the JSDF).

One can say that it is really what the US and allies really need during that time period so they can focus their strength on their other enemy. On a more practical term.... most likely because the Devs didn't want to mess around with an already established system that doesn't give anything to the Otome story (because why would it matter on any aspects in the game if Japan has an actual army or just a Self-Defense force? also, it gives a layer of familiarity to their players, no?)

Overall, no one can really say how stuff would have really played out when confronted with these little nuggets of "alternative history". At the end of it, this is how the dice fell in this world. Take or leave it.

6) The LN requires you to really keep up and think on things. There is also the fact that is really presumes that the reader is aware of the RL counterparts of the events being depicted in the story. It also requires you to, at times, just nod and accept things "as it is". At the very least, it takes a couple of re-reading things to get details that I missed during the 1st or 2nd read through.

Bleh.

Speedrun thoughts:

I am sure I just saw the "Future Director" depicted. Very interesting.

Nakamoro-oniisan! Finally managed to put a face on him! Yay~

Intelligence agencies are quite interesting, no?

Naoyuki-san cleans up pretty well eh?

Its 5:14 at the time of typing. My brain caught some typos earlier on my initial reading of the chapter but I don't see it anymore.. I'm too tired X_X; but yeah, it is clear that this was done during the holidays lol. I don't blame anyone.

TexView is interesting and fun! I like it!

If I am right... Currency-centric troubles are next as a wider issue while there is also that kidnapping as a personal issue... Also, more politics!

Ugh. Brain is shutting down.

While the fundamental point made by @Gunlord500 (omitted in my quotation) is quite valid, the notion that the Japanese state surrendered truly unconditionally is a myth. Roosevelt, who had declared that surrender would have to be unconditional and who would have been quite willing to exterminate the Japanese, was dead.

The Japanese state sought and got a guarantee that the Emperor would not be removed.

The Japanese state had, even after the dropping of a second nuclear bomb, sought three further concessions (domestic handling of disarmament and of trials of war criminals, and no occupation) but those further conditions were rejected.
Wait, Isn't keeping the Emperor a practical unilateral decision by McArthur to prevent Japan from waging a guerilla war

I know they need to keep readers' attention, but this kind of teasing is always a tad annoying.

Users who are viewing this thread