Noa-senpai wa Tomodachi. - Vol. 3 Ch. 24 - Noa-senpai and Personal Space

Dex-chan lover
This could be considered power harassment whether she is aware of it or not. I'd rather consider her clothes on my bedroom floor but I'm not MC.

Dex-chan lover
0At2KGN.png

Noa-senpai is so cute I love her so much
She's cute, but has mental issues... >_>

Dex-chan lover
Yall make her sound like some malicious entity

Can't take this in a vacuum either, remember that Noa has spent hundreds of dollars on him because "I thought it would make you happy". She obviously has a few screws loose, that's literally the core premise of this manga. Key point with her is the lack of any malice or ill intent and her genuinely wanting to be good friends to each other.

At worst it's two people's idea of what personal space should be clashing. Type of stuff that happens in any normal relationship, the type of stuff that gets talked through (as happens in this chapter) and compromises found.

There has never been anything Rihito outright hated and couldn't put a stop to. Even then at the end its just a silly gag but the more serious compromise shown is her sitting next to him but not leaning into him. She obviously learned that leaning in and clinging too much means him cutting ties.

And don't forget the comedy tag, it's not meant to be taken so damn seriously! She's just being a lonely crybaby as usual
Never said that what she did was malicious, that's your interpretation.

Yes, she has screws loose, that's as you said the premise. However so far her behavior was merely extremely clingy. She was too close for comfort, bu that was understandable. This time however she went much, much further. Not only was she too close, she completely dismissed his protest against said proximity and unilaterally decided that the distance that she is comfortable with is the "correct" distance, even when he told her it's too close for him.
Only him threatening with completely cutting their ties was able to reign her in a bit.
There's clingy, and there's what she pulled in this chapter, which went beyond anything she's done so far.

Dex-chan lover
this is cute and all, but please respect people's personal space regardless of gender and/or feelings. Especially if they straight up tell you 💀
Exactly what I feel about this chapter, it got me quite uncomfortable reading when she shoved herself to him right after he told her he's uncomfortable.

Dex-chan lover
You're pretty much self-inserting yourself into this story and then lashing out when it goes against what you want. No different than dudes that complain in self-insert mangas about a girl not liking the MC despite everything he did for her. It's as pathetic then as it is now.

Rihito is uncomfortable but not out of disgust just embarrassment. It's another moment of characterization outside of the usual borderline asexual non caring attitude he generally has. And tbh these two have already gotten in each other's personal space in previous chapters and the way he reacted then was super blunt.
It's useless to insult and psychoanalyze me while blowing past the core conflict this manga is based around. If something goes too far for me when I'm usually enjoying this, that's me, not an affront to you. "Lashing out"? Don't be a hypocrite.

Big deal, the problems with the characterization exceeded my suspension of disbelief for the subgenre. It's equally true Rihito is tolerating this, fiction isn't about niceities, you've got your own taste, and this chapter was bare bones about the most problematic conceit of the manga. The usual dumb fun was cut to parts I find dumb on their own.

Dex-chan lover
I learned something from Yuri manga... if the woman is cute and good looking... she can do whatever the fuck she wants unless there is another good looking woman tô desaprove what she is doing...
In the real world you learn that it's not abusif if it come from a women, and if she is beautifull the other is always the one responsible for it.

Dex-chan lover
It's useless to insult and psychoanalyze me while blowing past the core conflict this manga is based around. If something goes too far for me when I'm usually enjoying this, that's me, not an affront to you. "Lashing out"? Don't be a hypocrite.

Big deal, the problems with the characterization exceeded my suspension of disbelief for the subgenre. It's equally true Rihito is tolerating this, fiction isn't about niceities, you've got your own taste, and this chapter was bare bones about the most problematic conceit of the manga. The usual dumb fun was cut to parts I find dumb on their own.
Lol I'm just pointing out how dumb it is to get mad at this when the entire plot from go was that she has major issues and is selfish and clingy and Rihito is just blunt and boring. Not really "psychoanalyzing" just pointing out the stupidity of only now you have a problem with it. Would like to hear where I'm being a hypocrite. If telling someone that they're being dumb in why they're getting mad when this has been the story from the beginning is being a hypocrite then a lot of people are hypocrite.

I still don't understand how Rihito is out of character in this chapter. Unless you honestly think the dude is asexual or something which I don't think at all. I think he's very introverted and has low interest in others. A girl like the FMC is the kind of girl that would push him to have an interest because of her toxic personality because unless someone shows interest in him he'll never show interest to others. Her pushing his boundaries would either push him to act more harshly towards her or embarrassed and he did both first embarrassed then harshly when she pointed out his embarrassment.

Dex-chan lover
It's an archetype of the respect that women typically have toward men.
Care to explain that typical archetype for me? :wowee: Seriously though.

We lean more physically clingy than men, and social boundaries are very different, but in my experience the respect, fandom, and menhera traits are a lot closer to gender-balanced in real life than in manga. Let alone respect "toward men". Specifically, the personality trait distributions are similar and covariant so I don't think the word typical fits.

Maybe you're getting at something else?

Dex-chan lover
Lol I'm just pointing out how dumb it is to get mad at this when the entire plot from go was that she has major issues and is selfish and clingy and Rihito is just blunt and boring. Not really "psychoanalyzing" just pointing out the stupidity of only now you have a problem with it. Would like to hear where I'm being a hypocrite. If telling someone that they're being dumb in why they're getting mad when this has been the story from the beginning is being a hypocrite then a lot of people are hypocrite.

I still don't understand how Rihito is out of character in this chapter. Unless you honestly think the dude is asexual or something which I don't think at all. I think he's very introverted and has low interest in others. A girl like the FMC is the kind of girl that would push him to have an interest because of her toxic personality because unless someone shows interest in him he'll never show interest to others. Her pushing his boundaries would either push him to act more harshly towards her or embarrassed and he did both first embarrassed then harshly when she pointed out his embarrassment.
Congrats, you're still missing most of what I said. I didn't say Rihito is out of character, so I can't argue a strawman. You also demonstrated you don't know what psychoanalyze or hypocrite mean. :facepalm:

People can criticize something, whenever they want, without them being dumb or mad for disagreeing with you on some points. Most people here are noting two contrasting but not contradicting ideas, regardless of their preferences, interpretations, and disagreements. That's your skill issue. Good luck.

Other people already repeated every point that you're replying to. You'll get a lot more by reading them than flailing at me.

Dex-chan lover
Never said that what she did was malicious, that's your interpretation.

Yes, she has screws loose, that's as you said the premise. However so far her behavior was merely extremely clingy. She was too close for comfort, bu that was understandable. This time however she went much, much further. Not only was she too close, she completely dismissed his protest against said proximity and unilaterally decided that the distance that she is comfortable with is the "correct" distance, even when he told her it's too close for him.
Only him threatening with completely cutting their ties was able to reign her in a bit.
There's clingy, and there's what she pulled in this chapter, which went beyond anything she's done so far.
Abuse IS malicious in nature.

Because showing up uninvited to places wasn't anywhere near as creepy and clingy?! Out of everything she's done so far this is what yall are freaking out over.

I'd argue showing up uninvited and inserting herself places he never even told her about is far worse than what she pulled here, yet there were little to no comments calling her out nor abusive there. Why cause she just expressed her desire to be closer and he didnt?

It's even pointed out in this chapter, yes he is uncomfortable but Noa correctly points out he is just embarrassed and then teases him about it. That does not mean she is being abusive, specially not this case when there are worse examples. As many have jokingly pointed out, what she did here is women behaviour.

Dex-chan lover
You're conflating, "she's abusive," which she is, and "he doesn't want that," which he has shown ambiguous reactions to.

Her behaviour is absolutely abusive. She's to a large degree incapable of considering his feelings and is mostly only concerned about what she feels herself. That he accepts that behaviour doesn't make it less abusive. There are tons of people who accepts being in abusive relationships for one reason or another, but that doesn't make them less abusive.

That's irrelevant when it comes to looking at it from a more objective or analysing point of view. Something can be funny and offensive, and pointing out the latter doesn't necessarily negate the former. You can absolutely discuss serious stuff in a comedy, even if it's meant for jokes. And that's not taking into account that some people may not find it funny because it's too offensive.

No, that's you reading what you want to argue against. She's not malicious. She's ignorant. And possibly on the sociopathic spectrum.

So why can't people discuss it? Why are people not allowed to discuss an aspect of the manga they find disturbing?

People are talking about what this kind of behaviour looks like in real life, not what the worst that could happen in a comedy manga is. With that in mind, "at worst," is much worse than that.

Type, yes, amplitude, no.
I am not. On a similar vein to sexual assault, if both are okay with it then it isn't abuse. Specially when, as I've already mentioned, Rihito is willing and capable to put a stop to anything he really doesn't want. His character is the type of person capable of identifying actual abusive behavior.

Someone willing to spend hundreds of dollars on someone without second thought because "it'll make him happy" cannot in
good faith be said to not care about the other. Her past experiences have led her to believe spending copious amounts is a correct way to show affection therefore it is what she tries. She obviously cares about him as well; it is mutual.

It is completely relevant. Comedy by virtue of being comedy is not something to take so seriously. Things will be exaggerated and things someone somewhere will find offensive WILL be said. You the type to think Dave Chapelle should be cancelled for his stand up? You're barking up the wrong tree if you think seriously discussing a lighthearted comedy's "abusive character" is worth much.

Because a sociopath cant be malicious? at most she is poorly socialized or some kind of autistic. She's only like that with Rihito, too anxious of other's thoughts about her to be like that with everyone.

"disturbing" LMAO go read some Junji Ito for disturbing. Sure yall can discuss it, just as I can call you out for being ridiculous and wrong.

AT WORST it is Rihito and Noa disagreeing on what the correct personal space should be, I was obviously talking about the manga and what is the worst logical interpretation of what is going on in the manga. I never made any allusions as to what the worst IRL is.
Which is something that DOES happen IRL on normal relationships in type AND amplitude. Hell if anything such a breach of personal space is far more common in a loving couple when one partner loves hugs and the other doesn't. That's where talking and compromise comes in; she hugs less than she'd like and he puts up with the hugs when they do happen. Get that twitter ideal of perfect consent and never crossing anyone's boundary out of your head. Real life isnt that neat and tidy, that garbage is what leads to a cheerleader declaring rape 10 years after she chased after a jock.

Dex-chan lover
True, but before she was not as openly dismissive of other people's boundaries. Here she just outright says that if her behavior makes him uncomfortable, then it's not her who needs to change her behavior, but him who needs to become comfortable. Pretty messed up stuff imo.
You're right. That's too selfish.

Users who are viewing this thread