Please Go Home, Akutsu-san! - Ch. 181

Supporter
Think of it as "intimacy", let's suppose you just met someone at first you call them sir, after a while you just call them by their name and then by their nickname.
What makes them ashamed is the progression of intimacy.
(Of course this is exaggerated a bit because it's a manga I highly doubt people will react that way)
This leaves out the whole spider web of honorifics, as well.

Dex-chan lover
i was about to talk about it, that's their culture, us outside of japan don't give a damn, use whichever you like to say
I think it should be comparable to start using pet name or calling each other 'babe'? But the concept applies to all kinds of relationship in Japan with different level of affection depending on the relationship in question.

Dex-chan lover
I think it should be comparable to start using pet name or calling each other 'babe'? But the concept applies to all kinds of relationship in Japan with different level of affection depending on the relationship in question.
understandable

Dex-chan lover
I will never understand this trope. A name is a name, why be so embarrassed by it?

It's degrees of closeness.

Last name with legit, big boy honorific is like "Sir Chief CEO Master Lord Anderson". -sama, -dono, etc.

Then it's last name with normal or hierarchical honorific, for acquaintances, office mates. Mr. Anderson. Here's your senpais, sensei.

Then it's last name, "standard" honorific. -san, -kun, -chan. This puts you as basically equals in a personal sense. I feel like this distinction isn't really held for western senses, since I think this is where you just drop honorifics or start using first name.

Then its friendly, like forgoing honorifics or putting some stink on their last name. Anderbro, 'cause he's your bro.

AND THEN you use their given/first name. Because you're personally interested in them, beyond familiarity. Calling someone like this in public is a giant "we're dating and we've gone beyond h*lding h*nds" sign. After that is pet names and all that shit because you're soooo lovey-dovey.

Last edited:
For people who can't imagine name culture, imagine you're in school, but you suddenly start calling your teacher by her first name. It would be weird, right? Or calling your parents by their first names on a regular basis. It's a kinda similar weird feeling.
People in Brazil calling their teachers "aunty", "uncle" or even "closer" nicknames since forever: "What do you mean? lol"

Yeah, we're kinda overly friendly over here.

Dex-chan lover
Seems their brains became one.

Also, this landlady is still nowhere to be seen (probably still convulsing on the floor at the front door).

Dex-chan lover
I will never understand this trope. A name is a name, why be so embarrassed by it?
might seem silly to those of us with western sensibilities, but in Japan where respect is built into the language itself, how you address someone implies the level of "closeness" you have to them.
Its a new barrier of intimacy to break through with someone, like holding hands and such.

Users who are viewing this thread