Risou no Himo Seikatsu - Vol. 16 Ch. 65 - Heritage

Dex-chan lover
As opposed to fan translators, who take the utmost care by using Google Translate?

You do know that most fan translators translate after learning the language or as practice while learning the language, right?

Not to mention, even IF most fan tl uses google translate and its siblings, with proper understanding of the context of the events in a chapter, they'd be able to deliver quality tl still. Compare that to official releases that intentionally changes words to censor and alter the author's work. I'd rather take stilted line delivery done by a learning fan tl.

Dex-chan lover
they were just talking but i can feel the intensity is higher in this than some badly drawn fight scene from other manga. props to the translator too :thumbsup:

Power Uploader
That’s exactly what I’m trying to say here.

Fan translations can have great teams like TOOR Scans or Project Vinland or Everyday Heroes or XuN. They can also have teams that cram swears into every dialogue bubble or snipe series using crappy MTL or outright use incorrect translations.

Same thing with official translations. You can get excellent translations from places like Kodansha, Denpa, JNC, or even Viz. You can also get groups like TO Books who use Google Translate and pride themselves on it. Hell, there are even times where a company can do an excellent localization for one title and then whiff the next.

What I’m trying to say is simple - if you dislike the accuracy of a translation, then give them feedback. Protest if need be. But do not assume that every localization group is some collection of cackling supervillains whose ultimate goal is to ruin your manga. Because half the time, the change isn’t even directly in their hands.
There is a huge difference: One is voluntary work (barring scambaiting folks like ComicDom), and one is commercial products. And I'm sorry to say, but readers will eventually just go for MTL because it at least doesn't contain agenda or political nonsense.

More often than not the "bad" fan TL are harmless because they're either in an abandoned series that'd never receive any TL to begin with, or in a super popular series that get outcasted by the good TL in the long run (Praise Mangadex for blocking feature!). Bad "official" TL leaves permanent damage behind, because printed copies won't be fixed and the people who bought it won't get a free replacement (in most cases), leading to more money wasted and decrease trust in the official publication as a whole.

Finally, you can only provide feedback, protest for so long before a publisher is known to constantly produce bad TL. Me personally, 7Sea is now a damaged brand that I will outright avoid, and encourage everyone else to do so.

Dex-chan lover
People who don't know why someone dislikes Seven Seas' localizations probably missed how for a few months many current localizers, starting through them, exposed themselves as being members of a giant clique that are changing japanese media to fit their personal agenda.

Censoring, changing the meaning of compliments into insults, adding meaning where there should not be, at least one Fire Emblem game had a whole dialogue changed from... dialogue to boxes full of "..." to remove the actual character development into a "silent people" joke, at least one person admitted to forcing them to censor a game due to personal opinions, at least one outright claimed they enjoy just changing as much as they can and seeing what they can get away with...

And of course, there was the work that started this wave of awareness, a story about someone starting a gay relationship with a crossdresser friend changed into a transwoman friend in order to give it the representation they want.

The most easy example to give, thus why it is the most famous (but far from the most egregious unfortunately), is that famous Dragon Maid Luccoa scene where you can see how the dialogue was changed into the very opposite meaning by just turning on the subtitles.
Luccoa is a goddess, and made her body the shape she wanted it, because she wanted it.
She also has no awareness of human decency awareness, so she dresses in clothes that show it off, like a tight tank top and booty shorts, or a very small slingshot swuimsuit, with no decency issue in her mind.

People complained about her showing so much, so since she is a kind person she decided to dress herself in clothes that covered more... but tight clothes so they showed less skin but were just as exposing.
Tohru, another dragon in human form, mentions as an aside that it would stop complaints more if she changed her body instead (because, as mentioned, she can shapeshift).

The anime localization instead made her say she was nagged into the move covering clothes by the patriarchy (as in, literaly said patriarchy), and Tohru instead joked that they would beg her to change back.

Fantranslations are the only ones fully trustworthy by this point.

It's been a while since we've been reminded of her time spent among sailors, lol @ pg 28.

(Presumably the full sentence would be "You know, as they say, if you're doing it, raw just feels better")
I'm feeling a bit stupid today, but doesn't "raw" mean "unprotected sex" in this context? That would imply that the world is aware of condoms or somesuch, well enough at that for the saying to get into sailors' culture. Which is a bit over the development level of this world I think?

Dex-chan lover
I'm feeling a bit stupid today, but doesn't "raw" mean "unprotected sex" in this context? That would imply that the world is aware of condoms or somesuch, well enough at that for the saying to get into sailors' culture. Which is a bit over the development level of this world I think?
Yes, and yes it does, but condoms existed long before the latex versions we know today. Those versions were horrible.

Depending on what country you're in, they may still or again become illegal.

They were usually sausage skins (intestines of animals) or literal lambskin scraped thin. The fabric condoms will horrify you for both the men and women because they predated lube.

Dex-chan lover
sevenseas, ain't that the company that got in major trouble for changing the context of some gay manga by changing the genders and sexuality of the characters in order to fit their stupid woke agenda? yeah they're the kind of "localizing" company that make me hope for the ai take over to happen sooner.

anyways back to the story, that was real sneaky of them. they offered to give away a magic tool that's completely useless to them in exchange for allegiance. it's very obvious that they are planning something big that will more than likely result in the need for weapons.

Dex-chan lover
So what I gather is going on is that they were refugees from a northern countries who were suppressed by the southern church.

The reason why they are helping Freya for free is likely because they hold a grudge against the church or fear the church would come for them

He asks Freya the first questions to confirm they are not bowing to the church and will use the artifact to make it easier for them. Instead they want to use the trade with the north to bolster them and have them fight with the southern church

Dex-chan lover
What the, they actually censoring it to the point of making it non-sensical?? Wasn't seven seas has a lot of adult oriented manga (straight up sex I'm telling ya)? Why did they even bother censoring Freya's sailor mouth???

Back to the manga, you know in negotiation if the other party gave you the things for free, it's more often than not it would be more costy than buying with highest price. Free is actually expensive.

Dex-chan lover
What the, they actually censoring it to the point of making it non-sensical?? Wasn't seven seas has a lot of adult oriented manga (straight up sex I'm telling ya)? Why did they even bother censoring Freya's sailor mouth???

Back to the manga, you know in negotiation if the other party gave you the things for free, it's more often than not it would be more costy than buying with highest price. Free is actually expensive.
Freya is a princess. Princesses should never swear. Can you imagine Snow White cursing up.at the dwarves for their untidy behavior?

Fed-Kun's army
The end page pretty much sums up my feelings on seven seas in general, they tend to be censor happy, which considering how both raunchy and niche manga can be in general, feels like pearl clutching where literally no one, even pearl clutchers, would want it.
The LN doesn't seem to have any reservations with Freya's bawdier side, but that's being done by a separate outfit.

Fed-Kun's army
haha

I would recommend any title with a "high school" setting
preferably a "slice of life" or a "very mild romance" genre
and then choose one where there is furigana in the raw

one good example is the girl forgetting her glasses
or anything close to that

the reason is that because with that specific setting, the conversation is something that you will actually see in actual conversation or in actual Japanese lesson,
so even the kanji you read will not be something wild that you've never seen while studying Japanese

if you're willing to read kids manga, then something like Kobo-chan and Kariage-kun is really good material to use
I appreciate the recommendation, thanks for your response

Double-page supporter
I don't think there is a recommendable manga to learn japanese
There are tons of manga that are good for study Japanese. There's even a Japanese learning material in manga format. Almost everything in Japan has its comicalized version. You just need to look for it.

If you are already have a basic understanding of Japanese (N3 at the very least), kids manga like Doraemon would be a good practicing material for you.

Dex-chan lover
sevenseas, ain't that the company that got in major trouble for changing the context of some gay manga by changing the genders and sexuality of the characters in order to fit their stupid woke agenda? yeah they're the kind of "localizing" company that make me hope for the ai take over to happen sooner.
yuup, they got a manga about a crosdesser and his friend that would eventually (but very obviously) become a gay romance into a story about a transgender and his friend.

Dex-chan lover
I dont understand why sevenseas would censor a sex joke when this series literally has sex scenes...
What a clown company
It got one in the beginning to secure some initial numbers and establish an heir, and that was it; the manga is about political maneuvers...

Users who are viewing this thread