The Hero and the Sage, Reincarnated and Engaged - Ch. 17 - Their capital each

Double-page supporter
But anyway, Millis being good on magic circuit engraver is surprising me but on how she can get on that level is really understandable. Well, thinking on repair magic tool and need to wait engineer from city is not efficient on time, so self-taught for repair is one of option to outsmart the problem (since magic tool become daily necessity on that world)

Dex-chan lover
Attempted murder is way beyond just being a jerk.
Attempted murder is quite a stretch, you really think a 12 year old, one that is pretty clearly not thinking at all and acting in the spur of the moment, would make sensible rational choices? Much less thinking of murder?

She wanted to win the fight and didn't think of what she was actually doing, much less of the consequences if it went wrong, and the worst part is that from what we've seen so far of her mother, she probably would be  happy that Rufus won at any cost, since she's pretty clear the type of parent that want her children to always win to make the family look good.

All of Rufus actions can be blamed on her mother.

Dex-chan lover
Thanks for the new chapter!

Looks like we have some parents we need to mop the floor with.
It's interesting that Rufus' mom (or her country in general) has a design patterned after India - it made me remember the Indian movie '3 Idiots' where there is a case there about over-imposing parents and all.

I think people are more tired of this specific trope more than anything. There are only so many times you can see this setup where a character clashes with the MC at first but has a troubled past/upbringing before you start rolling your eyes. In this case it just serves the purpose of giving our MCs another opportunity to swoop in and save the day.

Not to say that the series was ever groundbreaking or anything but I think it's understandable that people don't find this that compelling.

It's a turn your brain off kind of series; why would people suddenly take one of its tropes seriously?

Dex-chan lover
Wow the sugar comes with a different flavour this time... and nope pure sugar came out again
Tanks for the sugar

Dex-chan lover
You mean the pet that is effectively immortal and can't really be killed? That's like complaining that a pokemon is unconscious after losing a fight.
I wrote "killed" for a reason 🙄

Dex-chan lover
I knew it! Now we are going to see more interactions with Fareg and Millis. Poor Rufus... that first moments she seems so happy and then had to come the bitchy mom to ruin it... so this is why she act like that in desperation :meguuusad: but Elria is gonna fix that! :win:

The date part was precious indeed... even the people there said it :hearts:

Dex-chan lover
Damn I can smell Asian parenting from miles away in this
Nothing "Asian" about that. Just a bitch who never worked or studied a day in her life, and expects others to work for her.
While she doesn't even understand the mechanics of summoning, something that is important to her daughter.
Shit, i was right on the money. She really does have a tiger mom.
Tiger isn't the animal I would use to describe her alright
More like a viper or a tapeworm.

My biggest issue of this chapter has less to do with the mother, the girl and their issues. But more about how convenient it was for our MC's to be able to witness this family airing their dirty laundry out in the open for no clear reason other than said MC's to intervene.
This level of coincidences is very normal in fiction.

Dex-chan lover
This kind of chapter always makes me think about how people can't let go of grudges when a character was a jerk, yeah nothing excuses Rufus actions, but she's literally a child, and not just a child, but an abused child, I know it can be hard to let things pass, but although rare sometimes people do have a justification for why they're a bad person.

See, this is the kind of mentality that causes people to excuse heinous shit done "because boys will be boys" or similar. It doesn't matter that her mother is abusive, she still continued the cycle of being abusive herself, rather than breaking free of it. And before anyone tries to say anything about that- it happens all the time, people choosing to not be the same kind of person their parents were, especially abusive ones. That she didn't choose to, and chose to follow the same path as her mother (in other words, using her mother as a role model rather than a negative role model) is entirely on her. She is responsible for her own interpretations and actions derived therefrom, just as her mother, bitch that she is, is responsible for her interpretations and actions derived therefrom, such as holding her daughter's companion hostage, as well as the slap and denigration we saw here in this chapter.

... some people choose to hate Rufus instead of her abusive mother ...
It's not a zero-sum situation where you can only choose one or the other, and attempting to reduce people's opinions to that so you can imply they're bad people for hating one instead of the other when they hate both is shitty of you.

Last edited:
Dex-chan lover
I think this chapter shows exactly why both she was trying so hard and "didn't care" and why you should feel bad for her.
Her mother is obviously holding something (that is the Steel Dragon) as a hostage probably under some threat of "You will be number 1 or your dragon will die."
Not even probably, she definitely is.

Dex-chan lover
I wrote "killed" for a reason 🙄
You sure sounded like you didn't meant it, cause it was clear she wasn't in real danger, she could defeat Rufus with her pinky if she wanted only reason they got hit is because they were distracted .
More like a viper or a tapeworm.
Not same negative connotations as the b word :dogkek:
See, this is the kind of mentality that causes people to excuse heinous shit done "because boys will be boys" or similar.
You can sympathize with someone while not hating them and still wanting them to suffer consequences for their actions, cause you can understand why they're like that, and the "boys will be boys" bullshit has completely unrelated context and don't need to have heinous shit involved.
It doesn't matter that her mother is abusive, she still continued the cycle of being abusive herself, rather than breaking free of it.
Breaking how exactly? She's a literal child, her entire life is directly connected to her mother, if she doesn't obey her mother will just hit her more, are you really expecting a defenseless child to have the mental fortitude to take a beating for choosing to do the right thing?

Or what, you expect her to run away and live in the streets?
And before anyone tries to say anything about that- it happens all the time, people choosing to not be the same kind of person their parents were, especially abusive ones. That she didn't choose to, and chose to follow the same path as her mother (in other words, using her mother as a role model rather than a negative role model) is entirely on her. She is responsible for her own interpretations and actions derived therefrom, just as her mother, bitch that she is, is responsible for her interpretations and actions derived therefrom, such as holding her daughter's companion hostage, as well as the slap and denigration we saw here in this chapter.
Actually, as a 12 year old, a literal child, that sure as fucking hell don't happen at all, children are 99.9% of the time terrified of their abusive parents, they absolutely won't choose to be a different person, at best they'll try ask help from an adult, get ignored, and just give up, she literally has no choice.

Also, responsibility? Are you kidding? Who the fuck expects literal children to have their own interpretations and actions? The entire point for children to not being alloweed to do many stuff, with many of them being even a crime if an adult helps them, is exactly because they're not capable of making informed choices like an adult.

I'll remind again, she's 12, she's not like 16 or 17 like the rest of the characters, it's already normal for teenagers to do stupid choices, to expect better from a child is just plain insanity, much less an abused child who absolutely would never go against their parents.
It's not a zero-sum situation where you can only choose one or the other, and attempting to reduce people's opinions to that so you can imply they're bad people for hating one instead of the other is shitty of you.
You absolutely can and should choose one or the other, shitty is acting as if children have a choice, because they rarely have, they're literally powerless for the most part, at best they can maybe try get help from another adult or run away when they're in an abusive household.

Users who are viewing this thread