The Saga of Tanya the Evil - Vol. 18 Ch. 52 - The Intervention Which Was Too Late III

Dex-chan lover
@DaJa-rahrah
I get Ace Combat out of it myself, but of course that too has some Macross recognition (including an original plane designed by Shōji Kawamori).

Group Leader
I cannot help but be in total awe with this series.
Everything is so good. The tension, story, background, characters, the art, everything is SO GREAT.
Yes, it takes a while to release a chapter. But my oh my, these chapters have so many pages of such detailed content ! It's entirely worth the wait.

Dex-chan lover
The day when Youjo Senki updated is the day the vaterland rejoiced!

VICTORY

Fed-Kun's army
I say this everytime, but wtf is this dummy thicc plot armor. Guys are literally impaled and blown up, Glanz legitimately looked bisected after Drake was done with him, and then these guys just get up and laugh it off after only losing their clothes.

Dex-chan lover
This has to be the closest fight she had since her whole mage wing project. They've been dominating the battlefield for a while now so it must come to a shock at how hard they had to fight.

Kinda wish Tanya got injuries similar to her first appearance again. She almost died that time.

Fed-Kun's army
I am filled with remorse when I consider the fact that I could only vote only once for this manga. I would give it 10 ratings, each 10/10.

Most powerful member of the GFG
Staff
Super Moderator
@Nemovir
No, Tanya has 2 orbs, the Type 97 which is the standard and her main one, and the Type 95, which is the blessed/cursed one that makes her say religious stuff to activate it. The Type 97 was destroyed, so she activated the other one

Dex-chan lover
@Scrabbleman
Yeah, granted they were understrength, but even so the lions here were genuinely fearsome opponents. They were massively upped in threat and capabilities for the manga vs the LN which was great, really drove home that there is a greater world out there and the Empire still faces real danger, as well as better underlining how good 203 are. Drake just demolishing one squadron leader after another, including posing real threat to Tanya, was a big improvement.

@SpaceFootballKing
I say this everytime
And you're wrong every time.
but wtf is this dummy thicc plot armor
It's you not paying attention and speed reading. Every single ace mage in this series is really tough. We see mages survive massive damage over and over again on all sides. It takes really serious spells, constant bombardment, heavy duty AA shells, or CQC with mage blades to quickly put them down. Of course they may take heavy damage and die of their wounds eventually without aid, but they can last long enough to get treatment others wouldn't, or to use a suicide spell to try to take their opponents with them.

Even 203 might have wiped right here, or at least suffered serious casualties, if it wasn't for Tanya having the 95 in reserve. And it matters that she has in fact kept it carefully in reserve, not using the power unless she was truly forced to. This chapter was well built up to.

Fed-Kun's army
@zanonyn alright, well you are unreasonably aggressive for a simple chapter thread. I've reread this series enough times to see Neumann escape death from suicide spells, collapsing buildings, and multiple explosions. But, sure, go ahead and act like you know what's up.

Dex-chan lover
I like that Jonh Bull guy, he can fly with no scepter and his spells are on point.

Just shows that when magic is involved one strong guy makes all the difference to the point that an army of weak ones or people without magic would not be able to fight.

It still irks me how everyone is painting the Empire as the villain in this war when the whole time they are fighting a defensive war never attacking first just retaliating.

@SpaceFootballKing
But Zanonyn is right.
There is no Plot Armour because from the start we know Tanya has "God's Miracle" to fall on to and we also know that Tanya is a above all mage because of her imagination applying the knowledge of the previous life to her magic and combat style.

Dex-chan lover
@SpaceFootballKing
Sue was impaled by a hundred-plus lbs behind a magic enhanced bayonet going 460 mph (c25 p75) and lived for a bit afterwards, at least as long as these guys did. It was literally almost this same situation, air combat devolving to melee above the ocean, and his enemy (Tanya) didn't even ensure his death either. He just didn't have someone who could do revival miracles on his team. Vianto got hit with a double close range mana blade and then peppered point blank with magic submachine gun rounds and driven through multiple buildings (c37 p23-25). He not just survived but could still talk shit/command, could be carried off the field and still do battle and recovered fine. The brit intel officer had massive combustion and explosion spells fired into where he was in a deep underground enclosed space, massive extra shock damage, oxygen deprivation etc (c48 p46), and he only died due to a covert assassination afterwards.

Like, if an actual main battle tank or battleship or something survives significant damage, that's not "plot armor", that's actual armor. Top mages are established as tough. Maybe Drake arguably should have worked harder to make sure they were dead right away rather then trusting them to drown in the ocean/succumb to fatal wounds, though it's also established he's gotten somewhat overconfident and has been out of the field for a while. And even then he couldn't have known about the 95, and the guys he shot down would have died otherwise. "Plot armor" doesn't apply to well established consistent rules and gear in a series, or else you could call everything in every work of fiction "plot armor" and the term would be meaningless.

and so the Season 01 of the anime cometh to an end.....took a while for the manga to catch up.....

Fed-Kun's army
@mahtan Tanya is a separate matter, but we've already seen that Tanya does face the repercussions for using suicide spells. Neumann was previously impaled and self destructed during the retreat from the Rhine but was healthy enough to fly back and still remain in active duty whereas Tanya was on death's door and pulled from the front. Supporting characters don't have as much focus in this series which is why these injuries that would incapacitate any main character get glossed over, and that is why they have plot armor. Because lesser characters matter so little that their injuries can be conveniently forgotten lets the plot of an invincible wing that has only had 1 combat injury (because of food poisoning) to remain true.

Users who are viewing this thread