The Saga of Tanya the Evil - Vol. 23 Ch. 69 - The Southern Campaign IX

Dex-chan lover
Why did Rommel "retreat forward" again?

Also here for Tank Desant: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tank_desant
From my understanding, they are getting blasted by artillery around them and it’ll definitely hit their current position in the next volley. If around them and behind them is unsafe and the current location is unsafe, the only place to avoid the artillery attack is towards them. Hence “retreating forward.”

Dex-chan lover
From my understanding, they are getting blasted by artillery around them and it’ll definitely hit their current position in the next volley. If around them and behind them is unsafe and the current location is unsafe, the only place to avoid the artillery attack is towards them. Hence “retreating forward.”
Yeah but, can't they just retreat back?

Dex-chan lover
When the manga started, it felt like "Tanya the Evil" was pretty appropriate. But somewhere along the way, she became "Tanya the Ruthless" -- which may be, but isn't necessarily, evil. It may be ruthless to cut off a limb with a battlefield wound that's turned gangrenous, but without doing so the patient will die.
The "Evil" is only really wanning because the manga's long filler arc. Evil certainly comes along later.

Dex-chan lover

In the novel, this battle was basically the empire walking into an ambush. Retreating backwards would have led to a chase, Tanya broke the ambush by ambushing them herself, hitting a flank and pulling apart the center that went to reinforce, then wiped out De Lugo's central hq while the defenses there were thin because they were trying to reinforce their flank that exploded just now. Romel finds out the enemy got decapitated and are now confused because they weren't expecting the air mage raid, and breaks through their front line, which causes further confusion allowing the empire to regroup. If they retreated backwards the enemy would have time to reestablish a chain of command and pursue, or it might even happen instinctively as soldiers seeing an enemy running could easily figure out they're supposed to chase. On the other hand when nobody is taking charge yet and another big maneuver happens with they get broken through it becomes a lot more questionable if you're supposed to pursue there or try to regroup, plus the comms would be way more chaotic with soldiers trying to figure out what's happening while getting blown up than when it's quiet. You can figure out easily that you've won a fight if your opponent runs away but it becomes a bit harder to come to that conclusion right after you got knocked on the ground before they start running.
Also both Romel and De Lugo were flabbergasted that what was supposed to be a crushing strategic victory was somehow overturned by a single mage battalion on the tactical level.

Last edited:
Supporter

Grimmycoffee: If I confused you with my quote, it was a Google translation of the text in the spoiler image I was replying to. (The …? after the quote was because I was myself confused, wondering why the image was a relevant response.)

In the novel, this battle was basically them walking into an ambush. Retreating backwards would have led to a chase, Tanya broke the ambush by ambushing them herself, hitting a flank and pulling apart the center that went to reinforce, then wiped out enemy central hq while their defenses were thin trying to reinforce their flank. De lugo finds out the enemy got decapitated and are now confused because they weren't expecting the air mage raid, and breaks through their front line, which causes further confusion allowing the empire to regroup. If they retreated backwards the enemy would have time to reestablish a chain of command and pursue.
I'm a bit confused, do you mean De Lugo or Romel?

Dex-chan lover
Can't believe Tanya would know gamer terms like DPS and Tank.
He was a fan of wars and war strategies. There are many games about tactics.
Just because he fired the guy who killed him for playing too much does not mean he did not play them himself.

About her being Tanya The Evil, it is because she is basically in this war because she went against God himself. Even if she is kind to her allies, in the eyes of anyone in the world that knows the true deal she would be a human version of the devil.
But
I don't think I ever commented on this manga, but to me he was fully justified on his action. Dude was skipping work for his hobby, with no justification besides it being for his hobby. And it had not even been the first time.
Then he outright killed past-Tanya for it. And then God blames him for it, as if he was supposed to just take it to be "kind"?
And the other scenes about the gods just reinforces what he told God then. God in this setting is not just evil, but thinks he is in the right.

Opposing the will of God makes her evil by definition. That we're repeatedly told that she's going to lose and won't be the one to write history probably doesn't help, either.
To be fair, this is their World War 1. I can see her leaving the Empire and being censored in all documents for WW2, if it would be any similar to our version of it.

She burned down a city :)
Actually (as I interpreted it), she pointed out their cities could be burned down that way, and seemed to want countermeasures.
As is the default of this story, misunderstandings made it become "her plan".
There is a reason that even after everything she prayed that the plan to be stopped. Which only reinforced her view of God/"Entity X" being evil when it was not.

Yeah but, can't they just retreat back?
The enemy was aiming there too - the arc meand it would hit them and behind them. They were aiming for three of the four directions. The safest one was, ironically, towards the enemy.

LMAOOO funniest shit whenever romel is involved. the positive aspect of this is that regardless of how much of a comic relief he is, he's still a capable general.
I did not read his stories yet, but isn't that Ciaphas Cain, Hero of the Empire's whole deal too?

I'm a bit confused, do you mean De Lugo or Romel?
I think it did mean De Lugo, and by "decapitated" how the chain of command was massacred until it became Tanya.
"We killed all of their other leaders, how the fuck did Romel turn it around on us so well?"

Dex-chan lover
Grimmycoffee: If I confused you with my quote, it was a Google translation of the text in the spoiler image I was replying to. (The …? after the quote was because I was myself confused, wondering why the image was a relevant response.)
Ah, it's nothing about the translation. The link is because I don't know what Tank Desant was, so I'm sure some people like me would like to know.

I'm just confused that the situation is just a lot more desperate than I thought and last chapter implied, with Rommel outmaneuvering De Lugo. This chapter feels like the opposite of that.I know Rommel said there would be losses, but this seems more like a losing battle they just happen to won.

Feels like the Empire should just refuse to engage them at all. Even if other nation's send weapons, there's a lot of limitation about how much they can and are willing to send. Without enough resources, De Lugo's army will feed itself to death, and the colonies under them will revolt. At least that's what I think.

Last edited:
Dex-chan lover
LMAOOO funniest shit whenever romel is involved. the positive aspect of this is that regardless of how much of a comic relief he is, he's still a capable general.
I did not read his stories yet, but isn't that Ciaphas Cain, Hero of the Empire's whole deal too?
is this a mis-input? a mistake when trying to reply to some other guy but the web screen adjusted and you clicked mine instead?
i'm talking about general romel who was literally running for his life in this current chapter but you're suddenly like "i didn't read his stories yet". whose stories? :question:

Supporter
Woops sorry meant romel there, I'll go correct it
Not at all, thank you for providing the info about the original! (And no worries… it seemed likely from the context, but I wasn't sure.)

Well, original title is basically "The Military Chronicles of a Little Girl", so adapted title is here just to sell it to you.
Say it ain't so! You mean American publishers feel the need to "spice up" Military Advance of the Titans as "Attack on Titan" (which makes no d@mn sense), or Sohma's Food Duels (literally food swords) as "Food Wars", or The Eternity You Desire as "Rumbling Hearts"? ;)

Last edited:
Supporter
That was one hell of a great chapter. War is hell and only the soldier can understand. Thanks so much for the translation

Contributor
Say it ain't so! You mean American publishers feel the need to "spice up" Military Advance of the Titans as "Attack on Titan" (which makes no d@mn sense), or Sohma's Food Duels (literally food swords) as "Food Wars", or The Eternity You Desire as "Rumbling Hearts"? ;)
For most of those, the authors or the Japanese side chose the English titles themselves.

Dex-chan lover
is this a mis-input? a mistake when trying to reply to some other guy but the web screen adjusted and you clicked mine instead?
i'm talking about general romel who was literally running for his life in this current chapter but you're suddenly like "i didn't read his stories yet". whose stories? :question:
I think they were replying to you intentionally. I'm not sure specifically who the "his" in "his stories" is, but it'd either be Romel or Cain (I expect it was Cain). Ciaphas Cain is, as they mentioned, another humorous general in a work of fiction who has a way of succeeding through funny means (I think so at least. I haven't actually read any of the books he's in, which I think is exactly what the other commenter was saying)

Dex-chan lover
When the manga started, it felt like "Tanya the Evil" was pretty appropriate. But somewhere along the way, she became "Tanya the Ruthless" -- which may be, but isn't necessarily, evil. It may be ruthless to cut off a limb with a battlefield wound that's turned gangrenous, but without doing so the patient will die.
The "Evil" part is not in the original title, in fact it wasn't on mangadex for a long time too, dunno why it's now like that.

Dex-chan lover
I think they were replying to you intentionally. I'm not sure specifically who the "his" in "his stories" is, but it'd either be Romel or Cain (I expect it was Cain). Ciaphas Cain is, as they mentioned, another humorous general in a work of fiction who has a way of succeeding through funny means (I think so at least. I haven't actually read any of the books he's in, which I think is exactly what the other commenter was saying)
Pretty much.
Your description of Romel basically went "wait, isn't that how people describe Ciaphas Cain?" in my head

Users who are viewing this thread