Ijiranaide, Nagatoro-san - Vol. 19 Ch. 140 - On that day... I... met... Senpai...

Dex-chan lover
NGL, I'm kinda rooting for the one fighting to go to the Olympics over the one fighting for dick.

Double-page supporter
Why do I feel she's gonna lose, lol.
It is a common trope in these kinds of manga. And if there is a loss, the two most probably outcomes are either (1) they decide that winning isn't everything and become a couple anyway or (2) the loss pushes them forward to try harder to succeed to "win the prize".

Dex-chan lover
Or like.. everything you said happens except the confessing part because they both lost and their agreement was when they both won.
But then again, the fear and desperation that they may lose contact after going to university could be the trigger to confess regardless of their agreement.

Dex-chan lover
How do you know she wasn’t inspired?
I just don't buy it. That's not particularly human behaviour. If the flashback involved her recontextualising that moment (eg: thinking back to that manga and how her feelings have changed) rather than expecting the reader to believe that it was always the case, I'd have no problem.
She IMMEDIATELY started spending a majority of her time with him in the club. Even got her to draw her. Are we reading the same manga?
Stories tend to tell the details that matter to the story, and skip over those that do not matter; like, the days she went home or did something else.
There isn’t a change in emotional coloring since we cannot see inside her head. Her teasing him is just her way of glomming on to him
We can see her actions, and it stretches credulity to assume that:
1: She was self-reflective and inspired by that manga, in that moment
2: That moment was intended to be referenced later in this manner, like it was always meant to be foreshadowing

I find the insinuation insulting to my intelligence as a reader, and it results in a cheapened emotional payoff.

Dex-chan lover
AHHH!
Holy crap, what a way to revision the mood of the first chapters. Very well done, I'm impressed 👍🏾
It really reminded me of that fan edit of chapter 1. I actually had to buy the chapter on K manga just to confirm the scan team wasn't being cheeky pulling a fast one. Crazy how similar Hayase's canon thoughts are to the edit.

Dex-chan lover
I liked the backstory on her, I know we get her inner thoughts here and there, while senpai tends to have majority with thought bubbles. But that was super sweet to see that they BOTH are looking at eachothers effort. Noticing the talk on effort, I think she may lose as well. It wasn't ever about the result but more so just making that attempt

Dex-chan lover
I just don't buy it. That's not particularly human behaviour. If the flashback involved her recontextualising that moment (eg: thinking back to that manga and how her feelings have changed) rather than expecting the reader to believe that it was always the case, I'd have no problem.

Stories tend to tell the details that matter to the story, and skip over those that do not matter; like, the days she went home or did something else.

We can see her actions, and it stretches credulity to assume that:
1: She was self-reflective and inspired by that manga, in that moment
2: That moment was intended to be referenced later in this manner, like it was always meant to be foreshadowing

I find the insinuation insulting to my intelligence as a reader, and it results in a cheapened emotional payoff.
Honestly? I always just assumed she is the kind of girl that tends to tease what she likes considering how excited she gets when she gets new material and how she only does that with him (While other boys barely get attention, something he even notices). She also was aware she did some messed up stuff, she admits that what she's doing is rather bad as early as chapter 3 and even questions him why he doesn't get angry. His answer pretty much put a line under how the relationship developed.
Honestly her admitting it in that chapter (and his whole reaction) was the reason I didn't drop it as it changed the whole dynamic.

Dex-chan lover
Pretty sure that throw was a same-side (baseball grip) Morote Seoi Nage. Toro interrupted it by getting heel hooks around her.

Dex-chan lover
@ATF4 Waza-ari usually has a hyphen or at least a space when romaji so you can tell it's two words and not a long vowel

Dex-chan lover
Pretty unnecessary sorta retcon of a chapter. Would have been nice if she acknowledged that she was just bullying him at first. Oh well, only a dozen or so more chapters until the confession, guys! For real this time!
I mean, I wouldnt call it a retcon. Seems like her seeing the effort he puts into his work opened the door and him being a fun person to be around kept her in. Even in the first few chapters that looked like it was the case

Fed-Kun's army
Now that I think about it, the first chapters are from senpai's perspective, when he wasn't in the best place mentally. So, while from Nagatoro's perspective she did some light teasing, from senpai's perspective, she was absolutely vicious to him.

In reality, it was probably neither one or the other, but somewhere in between.
She was vicious at first, just not intentionally. She actually realized it herself as early as chapter 3, apologized, and toned it down.

Dex-chan lover
Nagatoro went really hard on Senpai the first time around, her POV doesn't really show why she went hard. It's tame in comparison. Still nice touch she had a reason to be interested in him at first, and the rest is history.
With what's said in this chapter, perhaps seeing someone pursuing their hobby in earnest soon after her departure from judo stirred both respect and inferiority/resentment in her?

Rather than someone explaining to her how she lost her judo match or taking issue with her lack of seriousness in the field, she seized the opportunity to become the critic of someone else. One part in desire to get a degree of power back, one part in desire to witness something she lacked (resilience).

Users who are viewing this thread