Ijiranaide, Nagatoro-san - Vol. 17 Ch. 130 - Let’s see what Senpai is like over here.

Dex-chan lover
clone-high-gandhi.gif

Dex-chan lover
I think we can now predict a timeline of events. First Senpai wins cause no one can draw Nagatoro better than him. He cheers up blondy with some words that will resonate more with Hayase and she will bring her all in the tournament. Chad-pai will confess right after.

Dex-chan lover
I just wonder if this manga got any mentally stable girls in it? Because I see none so far....
Well, considering manga and anime group characters into archetypes based on what their personal flavor of unhealthy obsessive behavior is...

...I'm gonna say "no".

Double-page supporter
So many comments are about what we, as readers, will see. We will see nothing. So far the most private body parts have been hidden.

Dex-chan lover
it's really nice to see nagatoro increasingly becoming a passive object in senpai's orbit, where he drives events and actively moves her aside when she tries to get in the way. this is healthy reasonable male-female relations.

Dex-chan lover
please man, for the love of god, just let 4chan handle this. your translations have absolutely zero pace or flow to them whatsoever and it's getting difficult to stand looking at.
Did we read the same chapter? It read just fine to me. There was one minor error, but I've seen worse go to print even when actual, professional editors were involved.

Aggregator gang
@luigiymario2 There's several awkward spots and errors in this translation that severely disrupt its readability.

• Page 3, Machida: ねぇ?
    • Translation: So?
    • Having come right after her saying "What was that? Just now?!" this would have been better translated as "Huh?" or "Well?" as she's trying to get him to back up what he said.
  • Page 4, Senpai: 町田さんに勝つつもりだって。。。
    • Your Translation: I said, I intend to beat Machida-san...
    • He's speaking directly to Machida, he's not talking about someone else. So why would he say "Machida-san" instead of "you"? Or at the very least, why not "you, Machida-san"?
  • Page 5, Hashimoto: ハッチーってけっこー武闘派なカンジ?
    • Your Translation: Is my guy Hacchi here a martial arts kind of guy?
    • Hashimoto isn't talking about Senpai's martial arts skills here. 武闘派 is an expression that means militant or aggressive. Hashimoto is commenting on Senpai's straightforward challenge to Machida.
  • Page 5, Aihara: 受験だから受かるのが全てってのはまぁそうだけど。。。
    • Your Translation: You see, it's an exam; So it's all about getting accepted, right...?
    • This is not Aihara giving his opinion on things. What Aihara is saying is that he can see how Machida may feel that way. He's trying to empathize with her in an attempt to get her to calm down.
  • Page 7, Instructor: いやー困ったねー
    • Your Translation: Oh, no, how troublesome.
    • Normal people don't talk like this. A better question would be, when someone is faced with a "troublesome" situation, what sort of thing would they say?
  • Page 7, Hashimoto: あっ先生!!
    • Your Translation: Ah, teacher!!
    • If you're going to use "Senpai" in your translations, the very least you can do is use "Sensei" instead of translating it as "Teacher". Imagine if Senpai were translated everywhere as "Upperclassman"?
  • Page 8, Instructor: 背筋の伸びた凛とした立ち姿!!
    • Your translation: A dignified standing figure with a stretched back!
    • Not sure what this is supposed to mean. Not sure I've ever heard anybody compliment another person based on their stretched back. He's commenting on her back posture.
  • Page 14, Senpai: ま まさか ヌ。。。 ヌ。。。っ ヌードモデル。。。じゃないですよね。。。!!
    • Your Translation: Do...Don't tell me...nu...nu...Don't tell me that she will be doing nude modelling...!!
    • Sounds awkward. The speech bubbles were drawn with the Japanese sentence structure in mind, which is why nude would be the word that Senpai stumbles on. There are better ways to structure the English sentence around Senpai stumbling to say the word nude, such as:
      • This isn't a nu...nu...nude sketch, is it?
      • She's not gonna be nu...nu...nude when she's modelling, is she?
      • Is she gonna be nu...nu...nude in front of everyone?
  • Page 14, Instructor: 当たり前だろ!!
    • Your Translation: But of course!!
    • The Japanese literally says "of course", but we know that he means "of course not" since he's affirming Senpai's prior question that Nagatoro will in fact not be modeling nude.
  • Page 19, Machida: ナメてんじゃないわよ!!
    • Your Translation: Don't mess with me!!
    • Although there is no subject in that sentence, Machida is not referring to herself. This is a continuation of what she was saying in the previous two speech bubbles, namely that the boys shouldn't be messing around while they're in the midst of exam season.
  • Page 21, Machida: じゃあ勝負してやるわ。もしハッチーがかったら。。。
    • Your Translation: Then I'll give you a match. If Hacchi wins...
    • Nobody says "I'll give you a match" when they're challenging someone. That may be what the literal japanese is saying but if you only stick to a literal translation you're sacrificing accuracy and readability.
    • Again, she's speaking directly to Senpai. Why would she say "If Hacchi wins" instead of "If you win" or even "If you win, Hacchi"?
In conclusion, this chapter was full of a lot of translation errors and awkward English phrasing. It's not enough to put the Japanese text through a translation software and just paste in what it tells you. Doing so may actually result in even more errors due to what is lost in context. It's not worth much being the first one out with a fan translation if it's going to be this choppy. You've decided to jump into the fray and take over translating a widely beloved series, you owe it to the fans and to the source material to make sure you do it right.

Looking forward to improvement in the next chapter.

you won't get it. th
@luigiymario2 There's several awkward spots and errors in this translation that severely disrupt its readability.

• Page 3, Machida: ねぇ?
    • Translation: So?
    • Having come right after her saying "What was that? Just now?!" this would have been better translated as "Huh?" or "Well?" as she's trying to get him to back up what he said.
  • Page 4, Senpai: 町田さんに勝つつもりだって。。。
    • Your Translation: I said, I intend to beat Machida-san...
    • He's speaking directly to Machida, he's not talking about someone else. So why would he say "Machida-san" instead of "you"? Or at the very least, why not "you, Machida-san"?
  • Page 5, Hashimoto: ハッチーってけっこー武闘派なカンジ?
    • Your Translation: Is my guy Hacchi here a martial arts kind of guy?
    • Hashimoto isn't talking about Senpai's martial arts skills here. 武闘派 is an expression that means militant or aggressive. Hashimoto is commenting on Senpai's straightforward challenge to Machida.
  • Page 5, Aihara: 受験だから受かるのが全てってのはまぁそうだけど。。。
    • Your Translation: You see, it's an exam; So it's all about getting accepted, right...?
    • This is not Aihara giving his opinion on things. What Aihara is saying is that he can see how Machida may feel that way. He's trying to empathize with her in an attempt to get her to calm down.
  • Page 7, Instructor: いやー困ったねー
    • Your Translation: Oh, no, how troublesome.
    • Normal people don't talk like this. A better question would be, when someone is faced with a "troublesome" situation, what sort of thing would they say?
  • Page 7, Hashimoto: あっ先生!!
    • Your Translation: Ah, teacher!!
    • If you're going to use "Senpai" in your translations, the very least you can do is use "Sensei" instead of translating it as "Teacher". Imagine if Senpai were translated everywhere as "Upperclassman"?
  • Page 8, Instructor: 背筋の伸びた凛とした立ち姿!!
    • Your translation: A dignified standing figure with a stretched back!
    • Not sure what this is supposed to mean. Not sure I've ever heard anybody compliment another person based on their stretched back. He's commenting on her back posture.
  • Page 14, Senpai: ま まさか ヌ。。。 ヌ。。。っ ヌードモデル。。。じゃないですよね。。。!!
    • Your Translation: Do...Don't tell me...nu...nu...Don't tell me that she will be doing nude modelling...!!
    • Sounds awkward. The speech bubbles were drawn with the Japanese sentence structure in mind, which is why nude would be the word that Senpai stumbles on. There are better ways to structure the English sentence around Senpai stumbling to say the word nude, such as:
      • This isn't a nu...nu...nude sketch, is it?
      • She's not gonna be nu...nu...nude when she's modelling, is she?
      • Is she gonna be nu...nu...nude in front of everyone?
  • Page 14, Instructor: 当たり前だろ!!
    • Your Translation: But of course!!
    • The Japanese literally says "of course", but we know that he means "of course not" since he's affirming Senpai's prior question that Nagatoro will in fact not be modeling nude.
  • Page 19, Machida: ナメてんじゃないわよ!!
    • Your Translation: Don't mess with me!!
    • Although there is no subject in that sentence, Machida is not referring to herself. This is a continuation of what she was saying in the previous two speech bubbles, namely that the boys shouldn't be messing around while they're in the midst of exam season.
  • Page 21, Machida: じゃあ勝負してやるわ。もしハッチーがかったら。。。
    • Your Translation: Then I'll give you a match. If Hacchi wins...
    • Nobody says "I'll give you a match" when they're challenging someone. That may be what the literal japanese is saying but if you only stick to a literal translation you're sacrificing accuracy and readability.
    • Again, she's speaking directly to Senpai. Why would she say "If Hacchi wins" instead of "If you win" or even "If you win, Hacchi"?
In conclusion, this chapter was full of a lot of translation errors and awkward English phrasing. It's not enough to put the Japanese text through a translation software and just paste in what it tells you. Doing so may actually result in even more errors due to what is lost in context. It's not worth much being the first one out with a fan translation if it's going to be this choppy. You've decided to jump into the fray and take over translating a widely beloved series, you owe it to the fans and to the source material to make sure you do it right.

Looking forward to improvement in the next chapter.
you won't be getting that improvement. it's a grift, and they won't stop. they're doing this with a bunch of kodansha manga that went to k-manga and it's making the anime community worse off for them existing because it's discouraging actually good translators from picking up a series that's "already being translated" no matter how bad it is.

Dex-chan lover
Pretty sure people three buildings over know exactly what's going on in that room. Indoor voice, lady!

Also love how instantly Nagatoro goes into defensive posture when her precious Senpai is about to be threatened physically. Ain't nobody gonna be hurtin' him now.
she protec

Dex-chan lover
you won't get it. th

you won't be getting that improvement. it's a grift, and they won't stop. they're doing this with a bunch of kodansha manga that went to k-manga and it's making the anime community worse off for them existing because it's discouraging actually good translators from picking up a series that's "already being translated" no matter how bad it is.
Almost all of those corrections are nitpicks based on the person's individual preference, with no care for the actual characters nor the context of the situation. Even if the translation had been done by a "better" group, I don't think most of these changes should be made.
Addressing people by their name instead of just "you" is very common in English when you're not having a one-on-one conversation, even if you're only addressing one person. It prevents any confusion on who is being spoken to. Right at the start, if he's just saying "I said, I intend to beat you!" that does not clarify to to Machida that he is challenging her and no one else, "you" could be the entire group and thus also earn him the ire of the other two, and if Nagatoro catches that rewording after he was just talking to her, she might take it as a personal challenge too. Japanese is not afraid of dropping the subject when it isn't absolutely necessary, so when a name comes up in a place where it isn't needed, it aught to be kept because it's there for a reason.
Even the "stretched back" line makes sense when you actually think about the characters, they're talking about Nagatoro, the Toro-cat herself. Yes, the same phrase is used to refer to good posture, but there's only one person in that room who we know her posture is better than, while we also know that she is quite feline in her manner and that she is currently on guard against everyone except Hacchi.

Dex-chan lover
Almost all of those corrections are nitpicks based on the person's individual preference, with no care for the actual characters nor the context of the situation. Even if the translation had been done by a "better" group, I don't think most of these changes should be made.
Addressing people by their name instead of just "you" is very common in English when you're not having a one-on-one conversation, even if you're only addressing one person. It prevents any confusion on who is being spoken to. Right at the start, if he's just saying "I said, I intend to beat you!" that does not clarify to to Machida that he is challenging her and no one else, "you" could be the entire group and thus also earn him the ire of the other two, and if Nagatoro catches that rewording after he was just talking to her, she might take it as a personal challenge too. Japanese is not afraid of dropping the subject when it isn't absolutely necessary, so when a name comes up in a place where it isn't needed, it aught to be kept because it's there for a reason.
Even the "stretched back" line makes sense when you actually think about the characters, they're talking about Nagatoro, the Toro-cat herself. Yes, the same phrase is used to refer to good posture, but there's only one person in that room who we know her posture is better than, while we also know that she is quite feline in her manner and that she is currently on guard against everyone except Hacchi.
oh come on. the translation is obviously awkward in numerous places. you are just typing cope.

Dex-chan lover
oh come on. the translation is obviously awkward in numerous places. you are just typing cope.
And what is the problem with someone that is socially awkward having awkward lines, or would you prefer if every character spoke grand prose like Shakespeare even if they're a babe only moments out of the womb?

Yes, some phrases could do with a bit better localization, but there is no harm in leaving idiomatic phrases like the "stretched back" intact if it suits the character or plot, and you should never change dialogue for grammar for the sole purpose of making it grammatically correct when the original grammar and word choice is deliberate for the scene or part of the character.

Almost every point that was originally called out was a deliberate choice by the original author to suit the characters for that scene. All those references where Hacchi kept saying "Machida-san" that end up being changed to "you" in the other group's translation could have left her out of the sentence entirely and still had the same meaning in Japanese, but Hacchi deliberately refers to her by name. He isn't saying that he intends to win, or that he plans to beat just anyone, he's saying he intends to beat Machida and that he won't be satisfied with any lesser victory.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread