Ijiranaide, Nagatoro-san - Vol. 5 Ch. 31 - You lack that spirit of adventure, Senpai

Group Leader
it's a trope, no one's supposed to question it even though it's as unrealistic as stopping a bullet with your teeth.

Fed-Kun's army
There are two main things to take from this chapter;

1. Not only is Senpai letting himself take more risks that he wouldn't try to do earlier, but he also got Nagatoro all flustered in the process again.

2. Nagatoro noted that Senpai drinks that 5% orange juice all the time, while drinking the same beverage, stating she doesn't "usually drink this". She's unintentionally admitting that she pays so much attention to Senpai that she knows what kind of juice he always buys and also trying to get more familiar with what Senpai likes. That's sweet.

Also the indirect kiss trope is weird (maybe it's a Japanese thing like the nosebleed trope), but since they're both obviously inexperienced when it comes to romantic relationships, there's some leeway with them getting nervous over something silly like an ambiguous indirect kiss.

VIP
I thought I stumbled into kaguya sama when senpai started to think about nagatoro's reactions

I wonder how much a Nagatoro-san Anime pilot would cost to be crowdfunded?
I would throw in some cash for it.

I think the indirect kiss trope is a subproduct of the japanese sense of personal space. Because they're too picky with kisses in the first place, indirect ones became more of a serious matter.

Fed-Kun's army
@Garrett
"Juice" is just a Japanese household term for a wide range of (usually non-carbonated) soft drinks. Just like "tea" is not necessarily brewed tea but can be one of those tea-flavored drinks. I'm not sure how they call the Pocari Sweat type sport drinks which complete the grand triade of cold beverage vending machine offers (there are at least two clones that taste exactly the same). There's also cold coffee sometimes, which is also not necessarily coffee but for the most part it is.

The Japanese are also pretty inclined towards buying their drinks in half-liter plastic bottles or small tin cans even if they're going grocery shopping. In fact, it's pretty hard to find beverages in larger bottles unless it's milk or something like that.

Aggregator gang
I think the people writing this probably grew up reading manga with the indirect kiss-thing in it, so they take is as a given. Honestly, I wouldn't share drinks because I don't trust what other people have been doing with their mouths. I don't want someone else's food residue in my drinks, thanks. They might have been eating something nasty.

Dex-chan lover
is this a real thing in japan? In my class,if someone opens a water bottle when it's hot, EVERYBODY takes a sip, boys and girls.and when it's empty someone go to refill it.The same thing with the first name, what's the big deal calling someone by his forename?

Fed-Kun's army
Nagatoro totally planned all this, buying that juice and placing it there.

@thegentelman
I think the indirect kiss is exaggerated by manga, but partially true.
The naming thing is a cultural custom, apparently they call each other by first name only when they're very close.

Dex-chan lover
To all the people talking about the indirect kiss, I can't believe it's your first time reading a manga. Or, is it?

Tbh, I'm not sure that indirect kisses are something the japanese teenagers really care about, but it's a common theme in mangas. Almost as common as the infamous "holding hand". But the Japanese are really prude, and PDA are frown upon there, or rare.

@thegentelman
You don't call someone by their forename unless you're really close to that person. So most of the time, you use their surname.

Fed-Kun's army
Saliva sharing can be quite intimate for other people. Different cultures have their hygiene-related peculiarities after all. I mean I get borderline disgusted when I see American people walking in their street shoes at home in movies or whatnot, and I sure didn't entertain the idea of a shower space being a drain in the floor right next to a toilet in several of the Scandinavian homes I've stayed at.

Users who are viewing this thread