Philosophy Thread

Dex-chan lover
Depends. @schlo

It might include a bit of pragmaticism, egoism, hell maybe even Utilitarianism.

Alternatively, it might also include a sense of absurdism in the sense that a dog doesn't know why he does it but just goes along with it and accepts that is what he's supposed to be.

Though the meme answer would be cynicism because it comes from the Greek word for "dog" and the mentality you described pretty much aligns with his beliefs.

Dex-chan lover
I don't think I'm prepared enough to do a huge deep-dive into Greeco-Roman philosophy, though... @dabson

Dex-chan lover
I look at you all; See the love there that's sleeping
While my guitar gently weeps

I look at the floor, and I see it needs sweeping
Still my guitar gently weeps

I don't know why nobody told you
How to unfold your love
I don't know how someone controlled you
They bought and sold you

I look at the world, and I notice it's turning
With every mistake, we must surely be learning

I don't know how you were diverted
You were perverted too
I don't know how you were inverted
No one alerted you
I look at you all, see the love there that's sleeping
(I look) Look at you all
-George Harrison
@dabson

Dex-chan lover
Is it more important to be enjoy your own life or have a reputable legacy?

You may think this is a boomer vs millennial argument, but I think knowing that you will have reputable legacy can help with enjoying your life.

Group Leader
What I expected: philosophy
044.gif

What I see:
Upanhso.tk-28.gif

We can't protect our planet if we don't have a planet. So let's just nuke it to pieces, then we can all die and go to heaven and have fun with 72 virgins (no, not those guys who fix your computers and/or translate manga). Problem solved.
17-WhatYouDidThere.jpeg

Dex-chan lover
Every philosophy class or club I have been in has been nothing but shitposting.

And it's beautiful @Mr_Detective

No more @Garakuta @Batman

Ah yes, the intellectual of our age, Jaden Smith @MawMaw

That depends you school of thought, and some would argue it's a false dichotomy.

A Daoist would say to live a good life and let events take their natural course is the best path to follow.
An Egoist or an Objectivist would say that a man ought to live for himself, and that with it will come a legacy.
Nietzschean Nihilists would probably fall into the camp that life doesn't have any intrinsic meaning except for what you give it, and therefore the best way to live a good life is to do what you think will allow you to find happiness.
Absurdists say that the game of life is so confusing and illogical that it's better to accept it for what it is and to embrace what happens, so no matter what if you leave a legacy or not, good will come from it.
Machiavelli would probably say leaving a legacy is best to ensure stability within your kingdom.

There's more takes, but I think these would be the most interesting. @Teddy

And a Cartesian dualist would accuse you of being a hallucination and try to escape the matrix

Fed-Kun's army
What if Satan actually exhibits great, great empathy and is running hell not because he wants to, but because God told him that if he doesn't he'd put someone else in charge? Someone with a complete lack of empathy and the desire to cause as much pain and suffering as humanely (and inhumanely) possible? What if Satan, everyone's scapegoat, is actually an innocent victim in all of this?

Dex-chan lover
That's kinda what Paradise Lost is about where it portrays Satan as more of a liberator and God as a tyrant, which is kinda accurate.

Alternatively, you could read the bible as one big scam by Satan where he portrays the actual God as the devil and Satan is the one who's replaced him and is seeking to spread worship of himself whilst condemning everyone else. Kinda what the Cathars believed to a lesser extent. @Nick_Asano

Users who are viewing this thread