Tensei Shite High Elf ni Narimashitaga, Slow Life wa 120-nen de Akimashita - Ch. 23

Group Leader
"I have a front-facing character"

orz

People, it's called "being optimistic" in English. Or just "I'm the kind that looks to the future" if you want to preserve the expression somewhat (and have room in the bubble).
I don’t feel like “optimistic” is necessarily an appropriate 1-1 English expression in this context. The conversation has less to do with aspirations/hope for the future and more to do with moving on/forward, rather than dwelling on the past or staying in place. It wouldn’t be inaccurate to frame it that way, given that the ultimate point is about adopting a positive outlook, but I feel that more emphasis should be placed on the specific act of moving, rather than where that movement is towards, and optimism as an English word is more related to the latter.

Dex-chan lover
Man the world building in this manga is always top notch.

Thanks everyone over at XuN for always brining us such delightful stories though your translations

Dex-chan lover
I don’t feel like “optimistic” is necessarily an appropriate 1-1 English expression in this context. The conversation has less to do with aspirations/hope for the future and more to do with moving on/forward, rather than dwelling on the past or staying in place. It wouldn’t be inaccurate to frame it that way, given that the ultimate point is about adopting a positive outlook, but I feel that more emphasis should be placed on the specific act of moving, rather than where that movement is towards, and optimism as an English word is more related to the latter.
Sure, you could also frame it like that. The point was that translating the expression literally makes no sense. It's not an expression used in English.

Group Leader
Sure, you could also frame it like that. The point was that translating the expression literally makes no sense. It's not an expression used in English.
I know. I guess if I wanted to use a more natural expression with the connotation I laid out, it could be something like "I'm not the type to stay in one place" or "I'm not the type to dwell." I don't think the literal expression is completely nonsensical, but I'm aware it's far from common. That was why I prefaced it with a "you could say," to accentuate that he's using a particular turn of phrase, but that probably didn't really change much.

Dex-chan lover
Dude should be worried about the endless, sky-darkening hordes of mosquitos when he finally braves the wetlands.

Fed-Kun's army
Her request about the White Lake...it's ominous.
I'm half expecting it never to be brought up again until she's on her deathbed since the MC will outlive her just for the extra punch to the gut

Man, I was hoping to see if we got any mention of Nonna this chapter as he traveled but it seems like she probably won't be mentioned going forward.
i was thinking the same if they gonna mention her by any chance would be nice to know what happens with her,not sure what age she is now

Dex-chan lover
goddamn, his mental instability is pretty tame compared to mine lmao how envious

Dex-chan lover
This chapter reminded me this is another world fantasy.

Almost forgot he was a Japanese earthling.

Users who are viewing this thread