Tensei Shite High Elf ni Narimashitaga, Slow Life wa 120-nen de Akimashita - Ch. 32

Fed-Kun's army
Sooo.... how long, exactly, do dwarves live in this world again? And how long have we actually been here? I know it's been at least 150-250 years and his blacksmith master was already a full 'adult' so to speak for his race.

Dex-chan lover
The drunk old man really pranked him hard lol
also historically im pretty sure pole arms and bows were more used for war for obvious reasons and the katana only gained some more focus during like the edo era and beyond where samurai stayed more indoors and less warring occured
( unless I got my eras wrong )
not to say katanas and the like aren't cool just that other historical japanese weapons deserve more love in isekai fantasy
You're pretty correct though.

Spear was the king of the battlefield, but polearms in feudal Japan such as the naginata didn't see as much use compared to a regular spear.

But yeah katanas were absolutely status symbols in the Tokugawa shogunate, hence the focus on them.

Dex-chan lover
The drunk old man really pranked him hard lol
also historically im pretty sure pole arms and bows were more used for war for obvious reasons and the katana only gained some more focus during like the edo era and beyond where samurai stayed more indoors and less warring occured
( unless I got my eras wrong )
not to say katanas and the like aren't cool just that other historical japanese weapons deserve more love in isekai fantasy
The reason for the focus on the katana is also in part the Japanese government hyping their own myth and pumping ungodly amount of money into it. It's good for tourism and media after all.

Dex-chan lover
Oh boy another manga that jerking off katanas despite them being pretty mid IRL

Reminder that Aesir is reincarnated-Japanesse, so he have some nostalgia for Japanese stuffs.

His true strength is with using the spirits anyway, as much effort as he's put into all these learnings they're just 'hobbies' (remember him thinking of just literally splitting the island in half to separate the oni and the 3 races?)

Supporter
271.gif

(EDIT: This gif is a gift that keeps on giving, and I won't pass up an opportunity to make use of it.)

Last edited:
Dex-chan lover
Taking into account how the tragedy in the series mostly seem to come from just how disconnected he is from the passage of time, with everyone he knows and love dying of old age while he's traveling, by the time he comes back Asvald will either be dead or dying :angery:

Sooo.... how long, exactly, do dwarves live in this world again? And how long have we actually been here? I know it's been at least 150-250 years and his blacksmith master was already a full 'adult' so to speak for his race.
Chapter 3 page 19, we learned that rockmuncher was 90 years old
10 years after Aesir started to learn smithing so Aesir should be 130 years old
Aesir should roughly be 222 y/o as of arriving at the eastern continent
So rockmuncher should be around 182 at that time.
(I calculated his age given the given information as of last chapter.)

I couldn't find a specific mention of the life expectancy of a dwarf.
So given rough estimates for a dwarf:
Supposedly 90 is equal to a human in late 20's
But 20 is also roughly 10 in human terms?
The flow of time for a half elf should roughly be equal to a dwarfs.
When Wynn turned 24 it was noted that it roughly equalled a human turning 12
So they might age at half speed of human while young, but have roughly 3 * the life expectancy of human.
(The ageing process might slow down further, but I don't know.)

So according to that they might live 2,5 - 3 times as long as a human.
Given that he should probably be able to live to 225-270. (if we assume a human life expectancy of 90)
(90 seem to roughly line up with Kaehas age. (Didn't specifically count this, but numbers seem close enough.))

Dex-chan lover
While I still do enjoy this manga a lot, people have become a little too comfortable with disrespecting Frieren by needlessly comparing this manga to it. Guys, both of them are trying to accomplish separate things with their respective stories. That being said, Frieren will always be the golden standard.
I feel people are wrong for comparing them, sure both arguably are using the same theme of Mono no Aware, but I feel they're doing it in too completely different ways to really put them side by side

Although Frieren has the obvious Mono no Aware due to always showing her past with the former hero party, with one big point being how she actually did love Himmel too but her autistic elf brain didn't let her notice it and disappeared for decades and lost her chance to be with him, I would argue the series is mostly hopeful because it shows the world they created and how life continues thanks to their efforts, it keeps showing us the happy times that passed but the series still focus on the present.

This series meanwhile I argue do the opposite, for the most time we see Aesir shenanigans as he travel and learning the wonders of other cultures, but unlike Frieren he's completely disconnected from other people, with years for him being like weeks, he's living at his own time rather than living in the present, without fully understanding how everyone he meets is effectively a one time thing only due to how long he travels and stays away.

While Frieren is hopeful and  really lives in the present, I feel this series has a permanent sense of melancholy in the background, sometimes we get distracted by Aesir having fun and maybe he's either in denial about it or his high elf biology that helps, but he didn't really realize how much he's losing by moving again and again.

Rather than living in the present like Frieren, I can't help but feel we're not seeing Aesir living in the present, but rather him remembering his past after living for a literal eternity, which is why there's this constant sense of melancholy and perhaps nostalgia.

Frieren shows us the happy times she can have by living with humans at their own pace, even though she's eternal and her time with them is nothing compared to how long she already lived and will live, this series meanwhile show how everything and everyone is like leaves to the wind for a immortal, and how he's fated to see everything change and everyone he loves inevitably die, while he continues moving on, forever.

Small age/time update:
  • In chapter 1 Aesir's ~150 years old, as in chapter 3 he says he lived 150 years before leaving the forest.
  • In chapter 6 we get an actual number, he's 164 years old.
  • Skip to chapter 25 and he's now 209.
  • In chapter 26 at least 4 years and some unknown time has passed which puts him at ~214. Wynn is ~51 at this point.
  • Over the next chapters the following timeskips were mentioned:
    • ch27: at least half a year
    • ch28: unknown amount during travel from Whiteriver to Blackshell
    • ch29: at least 3 weeks travelling to Golden State
    • ch30: 7 years while talking to the dragon
    • ch31: 1 year to get on a boat and then it's not mentioned how long the boattrip to Fusou took.
    • ch32 (current chapter): at least 4 weeks.
  • Which is close to at least 9 years, so he should be ~223, which makes Wynn ~60. Oh and to whoever asked how old Nonna from Jampemone was back in the chapter 26 discussion, that would make her ~69.
All in all "only" ~75 years have passed

Dex-chan lover
Of course katana is the best weapon, that even the dwarves failed to imitate.
Well, there's a reason for that.

In many other parts of the world, there are plenty of iron deposits in which they could use the ore for weapon smithing. However, Japan didn't have those kind of ore deposits to use for their weapons. They had to make use of iron sand which required a different set of techniques to make them workable in creating weapons. And because how little is workable even after they use their techniques, they had to create specialized weapons like katanas and a myriad of other Japanese weapons.

The blacksmithing techniques from Japan won't easily be so replicated by European or even Chinese blacksmiths purely because of regional differences in iron ore deposits. Hence why a dwarf would need to find a way to reverse engineer it. It's quite a fascinating history behind it.

Fed-Kun's army
Small age/time update:
  • In chapter 1 Aesir's ~150 years old, as in chapter 3 he says he lived 150 years before leaving the forest.
  • In chapter 6 we get an actual number, he's 164 years old.
  • Skip to chapter 25 and he's now 209.
  • In chapter 26 at least 4 years and some unknown time has passed which puts him at ~214. Wynn is ~51 at this point.
  • Over the next chapters the following timeskips were mentioned:
    • ch27: at least half a year
    • ch28: unknown amount during travel from Whiteriver to Blackshell
    • ch29: at least 3 weeks travelling to Golden State
    • ch30: 7 years while talking to the dragon
    • ch31: 1 year to get on a boat and then it's not mentioned how long the boattrip to Fusou took.
    • ch32 (current chapter): at least 4 weeks.
  • Which is close to at least 9 years, so he should be ~223, which makes Wynn ~60. Oh and to whoever asked how old Nonna from Jampemone was back in the chapter 26 discussion, that would make her ~69.
All in all "only" ~75 years have passed
Oh geez, I completely over-estimated the time passage. I figured meeting his master when she was like 18 or so to her death at an old age, then children getting older and stuff that more time passed. Oof, thank you for the correction.

Dex-chan lover
I think this is the only work I'm reading out of the hundred others atm that is so enthralling (immersive and interesting) and long enough to ACTUALLY FORGET where you are for a moment. So sad that so many works start out with decent length chapters and then just become drip feed content, for example NANO MACHINE used to have huuuge length chapters, now they're a minute read, less if it's action heavy...

Dex-chan lover
For how many years have passed, author made a chronology for the WN up to chapter 20, we're currently around 16ish i think?/ LN Volume 4, novel is completed with 37+epilogue/8 LN Volumes, J-Novel currently is going through Volume 7, so 1 more left

Chronology Chapter 1-10
Chronology Chapter 11-20 (be careful of possible spoilers)

As for Nonna
He goes back there in Chapter 18/Volume 4, but she is already dead, he do meet her grandson and great-granddaughter though

Last edited:
Dex-chan lover
Please tell me he doesn't involve himself with the oni war for such a long time everyone else dies from old age

Users who are viewing this thread