Tensei Shite High Elf ni Narimashitaga, Slow Life wa 120-nen de Akimashita - Ch. 32

Dex-chan lover
Japanese culture wanking is second only to slavery as the most overused trope in isekai. Considering this manga actually did something about slavery I'm a bit disappointed that they are Japan cultural wanking.

Dex-chan lover
Ah, the cliché, "can't see an opening," line, to describe how amazing of a warrior he is. It's just bullshit. Being that skilled means you can hide your intentions, and if you're good enough to actually see through it, you're good enough to see the openings that are there, but in reality you can see none of that, because that's not how it works. A fine example of "He's good, trust me, bro."

A straight bladed sword isn't that different from a katana. They don't curve that much. A lot of sword techniques were very similar between Japan and Europe, since at the end of it, there are only so many ways to handle a sword that are efficient.

So, is he going to return while Asvald is still alive?

not to say katanas and the like aren't cool just that other historical japanese weapons deserve more love in isekai fantasy
Same is true everywhere. Swords were not nearly as ubiquitous as main weapons as they appear in fiction. They were mostly sidearms.

Concerning the matter of half-bloods, it seems like they only crop up because humans can't keep it in their pants. I see no mention of half-bird, half-fish here, nor did we hear about half-elf, half-dwarf back home.
Add to that that half-races are always called by their non-human part. It's always half-elf and never half-human, regardless of whether it's humans or elves talking.

Dex-chan lover
Somehow the most fantasy thing about this is that, Japan, one of the most homogenous country in the world, has multicultural mindset in this world :dogkek:

Dex-chan lover
Oh boy another manga that jerking off katanas despite them being pretty mid IRL
As are european swords...
In both cultures the sword was always more of a status symbol than an actual primary weapon of war, at best used for last-ditch/self-defense in a situation where armour wasn't generally worn.

There is a VAST array of war-cutlery and can-openers that were used through the ages, and swords did evolve to cope with the increasing efficiency of armour and roles on the battlefield, but their main purpose was to show societal status through the right to wear them in public places.

Which is as much, if not more, part of their Myffology than any quality of the blade itself.

Aggregator gang
In both cultures the sword was always more of a status symbol than an actual primary weapon of war
There's plenty of examples of the sword being the primary weapon of European troops.

The Romans conquered the known world with the gladius and scutum, the German landsknecht were deadly with their zweihanders, the Spanish rodeleros used their side-swords and round shields to conquer the Aztecs (over 1000 of Cortés 1300 troops were rodeleros armed with a sword and shield). In fact, these sword and buckler soldiers were common even into the 1500s.

And this idea that swords were only status symbols is absurd. For many troops they were side-arms, and frankly very common side-arms. Hussars and other cavalry carried them for horse-to-horse combat, English and Welsh longbowmen carried a sword and a dagger alongside their bows, Swiss halberdiers carried a hand-and-a-half sword for closer combat.

I said that katanas were "mid" because their primary purpose was attacking lightly armored enemies and the quality of their metal was garbage as the Japanese primarily only had access to iron sands. The katana was never the primary weapon of any Japanese force, unlike the gladius, or the side-sword, or the zweihander were for various European troops. That doesn't mean all swords were universally mid.

Group Leader
While I still do enjoy this manga a lot, people have become a little too comfortable with disrespecting Frieren by needlessly comparing this manga to it. Guys, both of them are trying to accomplish separate things with their respective stories. That being said, Frieren will always be the golden standard.
No, I don't think I will, as someone who has been reading Frieren ( & Oshi no Ko) from the start, they have made the biggest crime of all in my eyes, being boring.
Oh, that plot we set up in Vol 1?, it's never going to be delivered on because there was never a plan/the publisher saw it was doing well so we get a hundred chapters ignoring it before an anime comes out and all of a sudden it's relevant again because they can't ignore it any more.

While I still do enjoy this manga a lot, people have become a little too comfortable with disrespecting Frieren by needlessly comparing this manga to it. Guys, both of them are trying to accomplish separate things with their respective stories. That being said, Frieren will always be the golden standard.
At least Frieren doesn't have these 'the author is Japanese and is feels very unsecure about his culture, so he tries to portray it as supreme' chapters. Bleh.

Users who are viewing this thread