Tensei Shite High Elf ni Narimashitaga, Slow Life wa 120-nen de Akimashita - Vol. 4 Ch. 18

Dex-chan lover
“Something Vimes had learned as a young guard drifted up from memory. If you have to look along the shaft of an arrow from the wrong end, if a man has you entirely at his mercy, then hope like hell that man is an evil man. Because the evil like power, power over people, and they want to see you in fear. They want you to know you're going to die. So they'll talk. They'll gloat.

They'll watch you squirm. They'll put off the moment of murder like another man will put off a good cigar.

So hope like hell your captor is an evil man. A good man will kill you with hardly a word.”
Terry Pratchett, Men at Arms

Dex-chan lover
Hopefully that new emperor is actually a good leader, makes me sad to think how much pain mc and the dwarves had to go through, plus that poor unjustly executed noble who knew the dude was a vampire, to deal with this entire mess.

Thanks for the translation!
From what little we saw in this chapter, it doesn't seem super likely that he's "good". It's mentioned that the reason he apologized to the dwarves wasn't out of actual sorrow/regret about it, but just to keep the working relationship stable, so if he didn't have anything he needed from the dwarves it's likely he never would've bothered apologizing about it. He's probably just another king interested in his own country's prosperity and wouldn't care for the troubles of others if it didn't affect his own country, that kind of king.

Dex-chan lover
Looks like MC was helped by the arrogance and fragility of elves. Lei Hong went easy on him because that much is already enough to break a regular high elf's morale, and that let MC live long enough to use everything he knows.

Dex-chan lover
From what little we saw in this chapter, it doesn't seem super likely that he's "good". It's mentioned that the reason he apologized to the dwarves wasn't out of actual sorrow/regret about it, but just to keep the working relationship stable, so if he didn't have anything he needed from the dwarves it's likely he never would've bothered apologizing about it. He's probably just another king interested in his own country's prosperity and wouldn't care for the troubles of others if it didn't affect his own country, that kind of king.
That's a good king. A bad king doesn't care for his country, only his own personal power and wealth. Thus a good king won't seek any trouble that's not needed, as it would only damage his country.

Dex-chan lover
Yeah agreed. To be clear, i meant good as in good for his country. I dont think any of the human nations treat non human races with the respect they deserve (certainly from the events of this manga so far it seems like theyre always one half step from atrocities being committed against them :c) but if the king at least is good enough to know to maintain at least neutral to civil relations it'll be so much easier for everyone outside the human sphere of influence. (even if its only so he can trade for something cool they have)

Dex-chan lover
I bookmarked this manga and left it there when it first appeared on mangadex long ago because I thought this was just another generic trashy isekai/fantasy story,
and boy I was so wrong

this IS a blacksmith isekai/fantasy story that DOES blacksmithing,
a slow-life isekai/fantasy story that UPHOLD the easygoing lifestyle,
the flow of time IS flowing, and the story MAKE SENSE,

sure there are some plot that seemed like skipped or jumped around,
but I really like this manga

Fed-Kun's army
“As coroner, I must aver
I’ve thoroughly examined her
And she’s not just merely dead
She’s really, most sincerely dead…”

He lived for around 150 years at this point, and still went into a battle with no plan, no strategizing... Wtf. What he needs to learn first is not trade skills or swordsmanship, but actual education. It's unbelievable that he's this slow in the head given that he remembers his past life as a human.

Users who are viewing this thread