Mezametara Saikyou Soubi to Uchuusen-mochi Datta no de, Ikkodate Mezashite Youhei Toshite Jiyuu ni Ikitai - Vol. 3 Ch. 13.2

Fed-Kun's army
Why does everybody fearmonger over lab-grown meat? It's virtually essential to feed the developing population of the world and nothing about it is worse. People are so paranoid about every single new technology for no reason at all.

Supporter
probably because in a lot of dystopian or post apocalypse science fiction or science fantasy, soylent green scenario is more common than they probably should because well.. it's an easy subject (almost on the level of a bad cliché) to establish big bad company/government/race etc...

Granted, it's not that it's a bad setting and idea...

But really... it's frequency of use is more indicative of the lack of quality in most science fantasy and science fiction stories in the lower grade....

So naturally they use the easiest subject they can think of to help establish their (typically paper thin) plot.

This chapter made me horny for scientist hentai (and pregnant elf too, but it’s a whole other genre).

Aggregator gang
TBF, "space elves are awsome!"is exactly when my mine went when they explained it too.

@mommunism

It's really not. Like a lot of other issues relating to population and social development, this is a misunderstood topic. We dont need to switch to vatmeat to feed the poor regions of the world, we need to tailor the raching and farming to the environments that need food the most. Lab-grown meat is even more expensive than free-range beef and will consume more resources to create than factory farming. It may be ethical, but its highly impractical for anyone not in the upper .25% of the wealth.

A lot of West and central African cuisine is based on rice. Rice doesn't grow there well. What needs to happen is to convince them to eat grains and vegetables that grow well in those climates and soils and to make goats the #1 meat beast in the world. Goats already are more efficient than cattle, produce a more easily digested milk, can eat almost anything, tolerate heat and cold better than cattle and you can make clothing out of them without having to kill them, the way you do cattle or pigs.

Switching to tailored goats, environment-specialized crops, and micro-power generation, it's possible to create local micro-economies that allow communities to grow themselves without huge bailouts from wealthier nations. Which is, in the end, the only way they will ever be anything other than puppet-states and battlegrounds for proxy wars. These steps also let domestic populations in wealth states to free themselves from the shackles of macro-energy corporations and end factory farming. Beef has its place, but we have too many issues for super-expensive versions of beef to be useful.

Wonder if we’ll ever develop to the point where we can create translator implants? That’d make a whole lot of things easier...

Fed-Kun's army
@Raudhbjorn "New technology X is more expensive than old technology Y" is a very tired argument. Obviously new technologies are going to be more expensive at first, but usually not for long. Everybody knows that the cost has been dramatically falling, and Oxford had a study a while back that predicted lab-grown meat would create a massive reduction in resource usage (~7-45% overall energy reduction, but 80-99% reductions in emissions, land, and water) once it's actually running at scale. We're already pushing the limits of the world in all of those areas, and people in developed countries aren't going to just stop eating a ton of meat. It has to scale, and goats have an FCR of 5-30, which is laughable as a solution (it's worse than pigs/chickens and barely better than cattle).

Lab grown meat? HELL NO! I LIKE MY MEAT STRAIGHT FROM THE SOURCE AND BUTCHERED!

Dex-chan lover
For those who wanna know what’s coming up, well...
Basically, imagine super long and huge ass fucking flesh colored worms genetically to have high meat quality, butchered by the thousands at a time by some crazy old people, then stuffed into artificial meat cartridges...

Dex-chan lover
@mommunism
except that overall energy reduction doesn't mean shit as long as emissions, land and water are cheapter than lab conditions, i.e. demand/supply aside from meat production for emissions, land and water is lower than the same demand/supply for lab conditions + highskill human/high precision machine

we don't use energy credits, we use muhnee, and muhnee is intended as a 'market's hand' approximation of each item's relative scarcity
now, in the actual novel, people >>> available land, which means land/water/emissions is fuckin' expensive while lab conditions[ which are lax thanks to breeding ] and machines are not as fuckin' expensive, which is why lab-grown meat is at all viable [ though by this theory, it probably should be more expensive. welp ]

Fed-Kun's army
@Pallington There are so many problems with this argument that listing them all would be a challenge (and a chore), but I'll give a few. We literally do not have the arable land to keep up with the growing meat consumption in the less developed world, so money means fuck-all for the future even if we do ignore every other argument, yet still, like I JUST said, the cost of lab-grown meat has been rapidly falling since the first public trials (which were all less than a decade ago). The emission reductions are also theoretically a good reason for governments to subsidize lab-grown meat (with "muhnee") and you apparently have no idea what a prospective trial is since you're talking about an energy reduction from one while in the same breath comparing it to current costs of labs.

That semen recollection system lmao
Is funny because here when you start working you have to take a medical examination and part of it is checking if you have some kind of prostate cancer or related, and the way they check that is basically poking your G spot, and we all know the easiest and fastest way to do that in a man...

Dex-chan lover
@mommunism i'm not researching this, lol, but if you think societal motives can reliably incentivize governments, well, best of luck.
btw, meat consumption is rising despite lack of arable land because we haven't hit that limit yet.
admittedly, hitting that limit will be painful, but i doubt lab-grown meat can be so easily scaled-up considering the construction requirements of even fairly lax labs, and thus i am very skeptical of lab-grown meat as a reliable replacement. at this rate, it might be better to attempt terraforming.

Yeah I would totally eat lab meat but as a test... dunno if I'm comfortable eating it permanently, for health reasons and such.

next chapter meet mom and dad of elma cierra
only thing she is more embarressed and ashamed off than her body confessing to the mc for her is the 48 years she spent prior to becoming a merc.... and traditionaly you spent the first part of your life in the care of adult beings... aka your parents

Users who are viewing this thread