Latest Update on State of MangaDex

Status
Not open for further replies.
@icelord

I get the quality part I do graphic design for a living on occasion o do cleaning
what i was saying is if you put a limit around 900kb Its more then enof to to save a cover or a page in 96dpi at a rer of 2000x2000px in full quality whats to days standard any thing beyond that is not visible even on a 4k monitor whit High DPI displays for Graphic design

If a file https://mangadex.org/data/25ed0eab5c9b5b7cfdf27d47291ccf55/A1.jpg is correctly saved it would have aroun 450kb and not 2.3mb and you would not see the difference.

I suggested the limit for 3 reasons 1. you get a lover traffic 2. ppl whit a lower connect under 3mbps will have better experience wile reading 3. it will make some scanlators groups improve in one aspect

Or make it like a Suggestion to the uploder while he is uploading the images as some groups do not even think that the file size may be a problem

Dex-chan lover
Take the time... There are alternative sites to use while the things becomes more stable.

Nothing beats MDX when it comes to manga sharing community.👍🤘

Miku best girl
Admin
@hoangvn92

We are looking at the $200 option but can't do anything until CF fixes their billing system.

Contributor
@icelord our scan group releases self scanned manga with 3400px height... so the 100mb file size limitation isnt enough for uploads xD
Just throwing that in

Fed-Kun's army
Thanks for your hard work!

Hmm, but the Cloudflare's billing maintenance is being done with rolling updates? After all, they state that it "may" affect users, or is it just that MangaDex is definitely affected, and will be so for the coming days?

So they are supposed to protect websites but can't even keep their own website up ?🤣

@Holo and @icelord

The best way now.
is buying an additional domain: mangadexcdn.org
then transfer all images to: image.mangacdn.org
then turn on cdn of cloudflare(new account cloundflare free). That's it.

Sorry for my bad English. But this is the programmer's advice

Dex-chan lover
The present problems highlight the fragility of the interface. Far too much must be reloaded when just one item fails to load properly. When a visitor has been sufficiently fortunate that all but one item has loaded properly, he or she may be no more fortunate than a visitor for whom nothing has loaded properly.

Double-page supporter
Just wanted to ask, what kind of speed are you guys getting in the recently uploaded chapters?
k7PMHyL.png

Pic related is mine, and I'm unable to load even a single new chapter for a while now. Using aggregators instead. But I'm seeing comments from people who've managed to read the chapters, hence the question.

Double-page supporter
@Parnifia it's not good but still 5 times more than what I'm getting. More or less same speed with other manga too.

Group Leader
@Garo64 900 KB isn’t enough for even a 2000 pixel tall PNG image. Colour pages at that resolution are three to four times that size, and even monochrome images are often a bunch larger. It would force uploaders to either use lossy JPEG compression, or low resolution images. If you tried to force groups to make special low-quality versions of their releases for MangaDex, many of us would simply stop uploading to MangaDex. It’s a bad suggestion.

Fed-Kun's army
@Guspaz 5 Toubun for example also uses around 800kb file size and they're pretty decent at 300dpi B6 tho.
I check your releases and they're also within that area so I'm not sure whose releases are you saying to be in such big size.

Group Leader
@421cookies I just checked my most recent release and 12 of 16 pages are over 900k. DPI is irrelevant, that’s just display size. The raw pixel count and image complexity is all that impacts file sizes. Since I use lossless PNG, I can’t predict how big a file will be in advance, and my working resolution is determined by the raw. It’s a 2x scale for my main series, and 1:1 at a similar resolution for another one that I’m working on. The only way I could get under 900 KB without resizing images after exporting is to switch to lossy JPEG compression just because of MangaDex. That isn’t going to happen. Setting file size limitations would mean either lower quality or extra steps specifically for MD. If faced with that a lot of groups will say “No releases on MD then, get them off our own site.”

EDIT: one of the pages in chapter 1 was nearly 3MB. It’s lossless compression, so I can’t control file sizes without downscaling or using lossy compression.

Dex-chan lover
We also recommend that you don't use longstrip in the meantime.

Longstrip allows me to read with patience, but when I switched to single page, it broke the whole reader. This is when reading old chapters. Maybe new chapters are different, I don't know, but I'm not going to try either after this experience.

VIP
@Aurvandill
Soon(tm) that shouldn't be an issue anymore ;)

@hoangvn92
We don't want to get in trouble with cf, so we are probably just gonna wait until their billing system works again.
Thanks for the suggestion tho!

Fed-Kun's army
@Guspaz Urr, dpi by canvas size is basically resolution.
Well, it's just a habit of mine to count them that way but 300 dpi manga would makes it about 2000~px.
Also a 300 dpi grayscale manga page shouldn't be anything too far from 800 KB no matter how complex the tone or whatever they use. PNGOUT your releases if you're not sure whether your file is the correct size. Compressing image isn't about making them lossy, it's about making them efficient.

@Guspaz Your answer is exactly my point as you think you need a PNG for Manga scans

1. yup PNG's are bigger then JPEG's but not be-cos JPEG is a inferior format the difference is PNG is capable of more thing then JPGE still they both use the same compression algorithm or not depend on how you save them.
2. Just picking a Format a Hitting save is not everything as that may result in saving in unnecessary stuff like Alpha channel is one of them
3. the resolution I used as a sample was 2000px whit 72dpi is the standard for scans -/+ some px and 96dpi is my standard as its slowly shifting from 72 to 96dpi ofc that will result in a higher file size so a bit more work to fit it.
4. its not just page 12-16 it all of them but its good work it just barely above 1 mb your typesetter or redraver know how to work whit stuff " if you used PNG or JPGE at compression of 90% you would still have the same out put at that setting it would compress only white areas which is not visible" the result would be around 780-830kb depending on the page still 1.1mb whit out it is the best result

And yes 900kb may be to close to the limit and to force ppl to go whit it may be to much but to display some Suggests size or a higher limit would be helpful I think.
There are a lot of uploads like 2-5mb what are simply saved the wrong way like a monochrome page in 32 bit RGB and so on..

Aggregator gang
Honestly seeing how slow Cloudflare does this "upgrade" I'm starting to suspect that maybe they are behind the DDoS in the first place, so they can force their users to pay. If anyone knows of other sites that coincidentally got DDoSed in the same timeframe as MD that will prove my point.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread